We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Place Would You Stay At?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Place Would You Stay At?

Hi-

I'm planning my first trip to New Orleans in late March/early April of next year, and I'm torn between Le Richelieu and the Lamonth House. The Lamonth House seems to be in prettier area, but Le Richelieu has better reviews. What do you guys recommend? Are both areas safe for 2 females?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

LeRichelieu by far. And better located.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
510 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

I don't know about the Lamonth House...but my husband and I spent a week at Le Richelieu last month.

I was happy overall with the hotel--clean room, comfortable bed, 'dated, tired' bathroom though. I liked the fact that it was in a very quiet part of the French Quarter---we got lots of walking in-that's for sure.

I did not feel 'unsafe' in the area at all. We were advised by the staff, however, to walk down Chartres street to a busier block before heading up to Bourbon at night. It makes sense to stick to the busier streets--in ANY big city.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your stay.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

Lamothe House and Le Rich are basically in the same neighborhood so I wouldn't say that location is a big deal. Reviews are generally better for Le Richelieu though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

I would also recommend Le Richelieu. The French Quarter is considered the safest part of the city, since it is the main tourist part of New Orleans, and many solo/female travelers visit frequently. Just use common sense and stick to the beaten path and yall will be fine!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

Are there any trees on the street that Le Richelieu is located? The pictures of the area made it seem barren....maybe that's why I was even thinking of the Lamonth House. Are the neighborhoods comparable in upkeep and ambiance? Thanks so much for the quick replies!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

Don't worry about "barren" as most streets in the French Quarter don't have trees. Esplanade (where Lamothe is located) is indeed tree-lined and is a pretty street than Chartres but they are so close it really doesn't make a difference, IMO.

Many female travelers like B&Bs. You may also consider B&Bs in the Faubourg Marigny area. There are many of them in the neighborhood. www.bbnola.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

Well, Le Richelieu is in the Quarter, albeit the more residential part, so there are a few trees here and there. It's only about a block off Esplanade Ave, and there are a bunch of trees lining either side of that street.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

I have stayed at both, and would definitely choose LeRichelieu over the LaMothe House.

9. Re: Which Place Would You Stay At?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 12:33