We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

Minnesota
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

I need your help. My husband will be attending a convention at the convention center in New Orleans the middle of February. We have the option of staying at the either Windsor Court or the Marriott at the Convention Center. I'm looking for advice from someone who has recently stayed either place or someone who knows the city very well. Is the area around the convention center deserted at night? Is it a safe and easy walk from the French Quarter at night? In your opinion, is the Windsor Court out dated and badly in need of refurbishing as stated in some of the trip advisor hotel reviews? Which hotel would you recommend?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

Believe it or not, the Marriott's rooms are actually nicer than the Windsor Court's these days. I was a bit surprised last weekend when I popped my head into one of the WC's rooms while picking up a client. It needed a remodel but was otherwise clean and comfy-looking. And large, too!

Based on walkable location and level of service, I'd still stay at the Windsor Court. Either hotel is nice though and there's no "bad choice" here.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

I don't think the Windsor Court is as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be, but it definitely is in need of a renovation. I would also stay at the Windsor Court. It has better ambience than the Marriott and more of a distinct New Orleans feel to it. Plus, there's a lot of history behind the hotel, and the eateries are better, along with location!

Tampa
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

Lucky you to be in New Orleans on a convention during Mardi Gras!

Have fun!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

I would also vote for the Windsor Court. It has taken some time to come back after the storm, but all in all is a nicer hotel.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

Yes I vote for Windsor Court also.

But that's crazy, Cajunwave - and good to know!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

Stayed at Windsor Court last month. The Windsor Court is generally frayed and run-down. many of the rave reviews are HIGHLY suspect: written in a very similar style under a user name that was created the same day as the review and never used again. If that isn't fishy enough, someone from management immediately answers replies to the review. If you go to the WC expecting anything close to these suspect reviews you'll be disappointed.

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

Just returned last week from a convention and stayed part of the time at WC. Yes, it needs updated. The rooms are showing wear and tear in places, but they are kept extremely clean. The common areas are still beautiful, though. You can't beat the view from an upper level floor with double balconies overlooking the river. The entire staff there is incredible, they can't do enough to help you and they do it without coming across as stuffy or pretentious. Very, very easy to walk to FQ from there also. I will be posting my review soon.

The Marriott would be a really quick walk to the Convention Center, it is directly across the street. We had lunch at Wolfe's there one day and it was not a great experience. It took so long to get our food that they ended up not charging us, which was nice because it wasn't that good when we got it.

For the location, service and ambiance I would go with WC.

8. Re: Windsor Court or Marriott at the Convention Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 14:20