We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

To balance out all the Po'boys, oysters and gumbo, I would like to plan one fancy dining experience. I have been reading the reviews of several establishments, but they are all decidedly mixed.

I had been considering Bayona, Cuvee, Restaurant August, GW Fins and Upperline. Any thoughts on which is best at the moment - or suggestions of others that I have missed?

Many thanks

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

Check out The Rib Room in the Omni Royal Orleans. We had dinner there Valentines night and it was fancy new orleans dining. Great food and service.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

I would say Stella! is the best at the moment.

Then, I'd go with Cuvee, Restaurant August, and Bayona.

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
485 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

I am a GW Fins fan, it was by far the best meal I had in New Orleans when I was there last June, and I have reservations to go there again in March.

It has a nice atmosphere and decor, though some people say it's too noisy, but when I was there I loved the ambiance, and it wasn't near as noisy as NOLA.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

It depends upon what you are in the mood for in food...Stella is probably #1 in the city but its menu is eclectic and constantly changing. And GW Fins does change a bit but I guess I'd have to pick Restaurant August followed by Bayona unless it was great weather and I could get a courtyard table at Bayona.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

Definitely Stella! Unfortunately I was not impressed by Bayona.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

definitely Stella! unfortunately, I was not impressed by Bayona.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think we will try Stella, although it seems the type of place I avoid in NYC (a little too hip for its own good)! Maybe we will go to one of the softer around the edges spots as well.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

I'm surprised that there were no comments on your question about Upperline. If hip places turn you off, you should definitely consider Upperline. The food quality is excellent, it's a warm, comfortable place, and the owner and staff will make you feel welcome. It's an inexpensive taxi ride from the French Quarter or CBD.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

I would also add Brigtsen's to the list. Excellent food, especially the seafood dishes, in a more relaxed atmosphere. http://www.brigtsens.com/

Also, I wouldn't call Stella! necessarily "hip," but do note that its web site is way more pretentious than the restaurant actually is. :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Choice for Upscale Dinner

Thanks for the additional comments/suggestions. Upperline was originally at the top of my list, but the reviews here are rather sketchy - everyone is looking for something different, I guess.

Thanks for the hipness correction re Stella! I was equating extremely composed, nitrogen infused food with "Soho/Tribecca pseudo-Euro chic." Guess I got that wrong!