We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

Southern Pines N.C.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

Looking into going to the jazz fest. April 30 - May 3. Have never been to New Orleans. Would like to stay in the french quarter or within walking distance to nightlife. Any suggestions?? Anyone ever been to the jazz fest??? What was it like ??

New Orleans Secrets Tours
Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Food Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Doctor Gumbo Tours
Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
The Spotted Cat Music Club
Bars & Clubs, Jazz Clubs & Bars
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

We'll be there for the first weekend. It is a blast, with great food (I dream of crawfish bread and soft shelled crab po-boys!) and amazing music, but it can get crowded and really expensive.

If you haven't made hotel reservations yet, you need to get busy; next to Mardi Gras, it's the biggest tourist draw of the year.

Southern Pines N.C.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

Thanks for the info. Anywhere you would suggest staying???

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

The official JF website has some hotel listings (and a really good message board forum):

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

Once you take a look at the hotels in the area, if you have questions about any specific hotel, I'm sure someone on this board can help! I kind of like the Monteleone if it's in your budget....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

There aren't any good hotels in the vicinity of the Fairgrounds, but I would suggest staying in the French Quarter, downtown or Warehouse District and using the provided transportation to get to Jazzfest.

Jazzfest is great, and the food is outstanding!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

You're getting very late in finding quality accommodations for Jazz Fest. Many places book up months in advance. Don't delay!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

I STILL haven't written our review of this place but I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Bourgoyne Guest House on Bourbon. Very funky real-New Orleans feel and a great location, plus across the street from my favorite diner The Clover Grill!

I haven't been to Jazz Fest but we were in town while it was going on and it was INSANE. I wouldn't drive anywhere if at all possible.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

We do Jazz Fest every year. This year we will be coming the week after Jazz Fest to celebrate a big birthday.

I recommend staying in the French Quarter. My first choice is always Monteleone. Others like the Omni in FQ, but the rooms are so small,. and the walls paper thin.

If you want something cheaper, then look at Prince Conti.

A family favorite is Hotel Provencial, but we are origianlly from New Orleans. We love the older rooms and the history in that area. When I have brought friends there, they are not as charmed. Also this Hotel is in a quieter area of FQ.

If you can get a room, and pay the price, I REALLY suggest Monteleone. The location is perfect. Hard to beat safety, it is next to the police station, and they have a fun bar. Also the roof top pool is really nice.

Have great time at Jazz Fest. It is a great time to see New Orleans. The French Quarters are not to crowded either. The only thing I don't agree with is the wonderful food at Jazz Fest. But generally I don't enjoy foods sold from stands. The beer is always warm, but Jazz Fest is GREAT!!!! Prepare to get dirty. We have been when we had to wear bandanas over our mouths to keep out the dust, and times when we wore garbage bags and danced in puddles ankle deep.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

I too plan to be there for the 2nd weekend of the jazz fest...40th anniversary and lots of top names booked.

Worth the 20 hour travel time from the UK!

My 2nd trip to NOLA but my first for jazz fest...

Can't wait!

hants
Level Contributor
24 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

hi,vagasfan uk, we are also flying over from the uk for 2ed weekend of jazz fest,we have been to lots of places in the us,but new orleans sounds so different

from all the others cant wait for the music or the food [dieting like mad so i can put it all back on!!] from the lovey sounding po boys to the sea food!! the n/orleaners really like their food,cant wait.we arrive in atlanta on the 30th then traveling down next day,booked a b&b just outside fq.enjoy!

Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Orleans Jazz festival 2009

3rd trip to NOLA for me but 1st Jazzfest!

We're going the 1st weekend as will be in Vegas for the 2nd weekend (it's a hard life......)

Romy, would agree with above posters - for your first trip stay in the FQ. You can spend days just wandering around people watching. I love NOLA, but this is my 1st trip back since Katrina.