We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

Boston
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

I am booked on American Airlines flight to New Orleans in mid November. In light of the Hurricane, I am no longer planing on going. Has anyone tried calling AA to see if they would refund the money without charging a fee?

Thanks.

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
716 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
947 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
128 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
449 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
808 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

I have been putting off calling since I am afraid I will feel aggravated. My tickets are not until Feb. 06 though.

Did you go to their website to see their policy?

www.aa.com

Boston
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

Yes, I seen their policy, but it has not changed since Sept 2nd. I am hoping that since many Airlines are updating thier policy AA will follow as well.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

AA tried to give me a voucher. I told them I wanted a refund. They put me on hold and said ok to a refund but lectured me that the ticket was non refundable and they would do it this one time. Then they told me it would take several billing cycles (meaning 3 months). BS !!! I called my credit card company and they said would refund my money after the flight was scheduled on 9-7. You must dispute the charges with your credit card company after the flight date and you should get your money back in a few weeks. The airlines will try to $crew you. Don't let them.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

Has anyone tried this with Continential? They told me that they could only give me a voucher

Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

I called. We had made a a deposit on a Delta Queen cruise out of N>O> in the Spring. American says their regular cancellation policy will apply..I since sent them a letter requesting consideration..Worse than AA is DeltaQueen who says, despite the fact that they have substitited another cruise in lieu of the NO cruise we had made a deposit on, that they will assess a cancellation charge on me..this despite the fact that it is THEY who cancelled the New Orleans cruise, and not me.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
808 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

Sometimes it is according to who you speak with on the phone and how often you use AA. Even better sometimes when you are face to face with them they are willing to do more. Be persistant and call back a few times. Maybe you will get lucky and they will refund before the update their policy. I am sure they will be updating it soon.

Deb

UK
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

I have received a full refund from American Airlines for travel on 22 September to New Orleans, I had to push for it, but in the end they came good. I agree it depends on who you deal with, but they were very helpful.

Plymouth, Indiana
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

I had tickets for NO on Oct. 23rd and AA still is giving me a hard time about waiving the fees. I'm not even asking for a refund. I understand they are nonrefundable tickets. All I'm asking for is waiving the change fee. Their supervisor in customer relations was the rudest lady I've ever talked with. Her name is Laurie. She wouldn't even give me her last name. I've e mailed corporate twice and have not received word back from them. I think it stinks that they won't waive the fee to transfer the tickets. I've already paid for the tickets so they aren't going to be out any money. I don't plan on giving up.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

The way AA are making people feel like this is their fault is disgraceful. Seems the last thing on their mind is keeping potential future customers happy.

Again, my praise must go to Southwest for offering full refunds up until January with no fees. I just wish both flights i had booked had been through them!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any success with getting a refund from American Airlines...

The respopnse from North West has been - tough. Want to change your ticket pay a $136 administration fee. We were booked over Christmas.