We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waters being dumped into the Gulf

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Topic
Waters being dumped into the Gulf

Ok now what? I have been watching the infected sewer water from the already ruined city, being dumped into the Gulf of Mexico via the lake? Good grief what will that mean to all of us...What could be the results of this move?

Could someone tell me about the studies made by the experts? What this might mean to the Gulf and Oceans? Or was this just the most obvious thing to do. I certaily hope that this is not the beginning of a (hard to imagine) worse problem.

No fish for me for the next hundred years...........

MN
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

What does Health and Human Services say? Or WHO (World Health Organization)? I received this in a news alert email from CNN:

"-- New Orleans flood waters contaminated with e. coli, official in office of Mayor Ray Nagin tells CNN."

Not meaning to stir up anything, but I hear you. However.....

I remember the mercury poisoning scare in the 70s regarding tuna....me and my family are all still alive, we are not yet glowing in the dark, and I almost believe we built up antibodies....

Seriously, wait before panicking. It will take months to evaluate, but perhaps not 100 years. Always err on the safe side...

NJ
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

If the French Quarter does open up again...I think I'll pass on the crawfish etoufee this time around.

MN
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

Don't give up on the crawfish....most are "grown" in Acadiana.....fresh water......

I lived in Eunice before moving to Baton Rouge....

Redmond, WA
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

I saw this reported this evening on CNN, also.

Here's my try at a very elementary level. Take full strength bleach, or whatever other substance you like, put it in a container. What you get is bleach-smelly, fade clothes, could do serious harm if ingested. OK, now add a bit of water-these problems start to get less intense. Now add the entire Gulf of Mexico and the problem is even less. Yes, you still have bleach-or E.Coli-, but it's hazard is on a far smaller scale than if you have this growing in a pitre dish or stagnant water.

The doctor I saw interviewed, of course, was being PC. He said we don't yet know what the long term effects of this will be. But, that water has to go somewhere.

E.Coli is a common problem when preparing food. That's why there are "Safe Handling Instructions" on your meat and why it's important not to cross-contaminate foods when preparing meals. I'd say, be careful and know what is going on, but don't get hysterical until more testing is done.

Highland, Indiana
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

I wonder if the salt water has a cleansing effect on the bad water?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

Darlene

We have crawfish ponds all around my parish so you don't have pass up the etouffe......

I have been wondering myself what will happen with the toxic water around New Orleans. Below is some info on E.Coli which will be found in the water.

Some info on E.Coli:

What is E. coli and where does it come from?

E. coli is a type of fecal coliform bacteria commonly found in the intestines of animals and humans. E. coli is short for Escherichia coli. The presence of E. coli in water is a strong indication of recent sewage or animal waste contamination. Sewage may contain many types of disease-causing organisms.

Infection often causes severe bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps; sometimes the infection causes non-bloody diarrhea. Frequently, no fever is present. It should be noted that these symptoms are common to a variety of diseases, and may be caused by sources other than contaminated drinking water.

Most infections are believed to have come from eating undercooked ground beef.

However, some have been waterborne. In 1999, people became sick after drinking contaminated water in Washington County, New York and swimming in contaminated water in Clark County, Washington.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

It's not the E. coli I'm worried about -- it's the other ingredients in that "toxic soup" they love to talk about. The good news is that there's plenty of water in the Gulf to dilute that stuff. The bad news will probably be a bigger dead spot in the Gulf, inedible shellfish (for a long time along that part of the coast), dead fish, sick birds and another critters, more red tide blooms in Bea's neck of the woods, etc. And then there are the reefs...

I suppose it's tough for the powers-that-be to talk about enviro concerns when there's such tremendous human suffering going on, but maybe they could expend a little bit of the energy on that instead of playing so many rounds of the blame game. The European media seems to be paying attention.

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waters being dumped into the Gulf

Bea,

I share your concern for the environment, but what else could they do but begin pumping the water out as fast as they can? I don’t think this is just the most obvious thing to do, it is surely the only thing to do. What other way could they get the water out of New Orleans so they can continue rescuing people and recovering bodies? It will probably be a long, long time before we know the full extent of every kind of damage including environmental damage from this disaster.