We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo gallery from a survivor

Level Contributor
368 posts
Save Topic
Photo gallery from a survivor

Here are almost 200 photos which might shatter some of the myths about this storm and explain why some things happened as they did: noticeably, the gravely mistaken sense of optimism that local officials, federal officials, residents of N.O., and most outsiders shared concerning the IMMEDIATE impact of the storm.

It seems fairly obvious to me after looking at these photos why the "when" of the breach of the levees caught many people by surprise.

www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp…

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

Holy smokes. Thanks for sharing the link. It's definitely worth the time.

East Coast
Level Contributor
711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

Wingman ~ THAT was amazing... thank you for the post. The rear windshields of those cars, speaks volumes of the force of the wind... amazing.

Scotland
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

Anyone who wants to see the real story of Katrina instead of the embellished news channel reports should check out this site. These photos are astounding.

Sac, CA
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

All I can say is WOW! Those pictures are amazing and quite and eye opener!

Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

Wingman, were you on vacation? Or do you live there? How'd you get out?? (I think you explain it in the slideshow, but the photos were moving quickly, and I was so riveted by them.. ) All I can say is wow. Those were awesome.

Southeast Missouri
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

Thanks for sharing your story - it was more informative than anything I've seen on the news.

Level Contributor
368 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

FLFun and Doctor RJ:

I'm sorry and embarrassed: the title of my thread was unclear. These are photos from a man who lives in New Orleans. They were posted on wrightweather.com (I believe that's the address.)

At any rate, I found the photos almost hypnotic in the way they seemed to "seduce". By that I mean, the storm was predicted to be a killer; it arrived and for almost two days so many people lived with the impression that they had been spared and then, as if written by a master of plot, the sense of repeive was snatched away.

I don't know why or how but I agree that this collection of photos seemed to tell more of the story than the almost 100 hours of broadcast news that I've seen.

Kansas City, Mo
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

These are wonderful pictures but to say that we havent seen them on the news is not correct. I have seen at least 20 of the shots from this collection on CNN and they even directed folks to this website.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
808 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

An interesting and worth while look.

Thanks for sharing.

Deb

Level Contributor
368 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Photo gallery from a survivor

Enoughisenough:

I don't believe anyone said they weren't on the news, per se. As I read the posts of those (including myself) who referred to

the news, I believe the suggestion was that this collection was, in their opinion, superior to the news in some way.

Personally, there were at least a half dozen pieces of information that I never heard on the news, including this guy's scathing indictment of the CNBC newswoman who seemed to be adlibbing her way through her piece.