We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

who to give to

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Topic
who to give to

Does anyone have an opinion about where best the donations are being used...we sent to Red Cross and Humane Society and now found a little (100$) more money to donate..any one have ideas? DKEL

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: who to give to

My company & employees are donating to Americares. You may want to check them out.

Deb

MN
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: who to give to

I do know that the Mayo Clinic contributes to these organizations, beside their own relief fund as well as sending healthcare teams to assist:

American Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org); Americares (http://www.americares.org); Direct Relief International (http://www.directrelief.org).

Thank you, DKEL.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: who to give to

Local churches will end up caring a huge load for a long time. Consider Catholic Charities -- a huge help after Charley -- or any other you feel comfortable with.

Although I have political differences with the Salvation Army, they play a HUGE role in disaster response, and they're also around for the long haul. I hear some from the Keys group are helping run logistics for the response. (The Salvation Army is also often the first NGO on the ground, for which I will always be grateful.)

Noah's Wish is also playing a big role in animal rescue, and the local ASPCA and HSA groups will be handling housing for a long time.

Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: who to give to

oxfam!

i already suggested this in the sticky thread up to though =].. there are a few good suggestions there

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: who to give to

The great work done by the Salvation Army seems to be continually underplayed after disasters, perhaps this has something to do with religion...? You MAY want to consider them as an option. Although I personally am not a religious person, I AM spiritual and have witnessed first hand all the good the Salvation Army does for others, it is a very worthwhile organization.

MN
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: who to give to

I agree, lovenola......

I have also posted in the sticky thread.....

One thing about the Salvation Army....they are so well organized that even if you live in a relatively remote area, there is a way to contact them, and they often take items not take by other charities; i.e., gently used clothing, household goods, etc.

Bless you all for helping your fellow Americans in any way you can.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: who to give to

I have organized getting school supplies and $ for schools that have a LARGE amount of evacuees. I am working with schools in Mississippi since this state is dealing with evacuees from both Louisianna and Mississippi, plus the destruction of Katrina, on top of being the poorest state in the USA. I know that Natchez MS has doubled in population since the Hurricane.

If you are in Florida you probably have many evacuee families. You may want to find an evacuee family and give it directly to them. The Fema and Red Cross $ isn't going to be enough for them.

There are some businesses, like Curves that are collecting and they will match donations, (check with them, this may be just a regional thing)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: who to give to

Every cloud has that silver lining. It's sad to admit that many of the children who have been displaced by Katrina will be in a position to receive a FAR superior education in the school districts to which they have fled. The New Orleans public shool system is an abyssmal failure, these kids will be stunned to find out just how much they have been missing. My hope is that through this disaster will come a much improved system of public education for the children of New Orleans.

MN
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: who to give to

Sad as things are, you are quite right, loveNola. I lived in Louisiana for nine years. I could not afford private school for my kids, so I know what you are talking about.

How cool is that to see the silver lining? Way cool. I have prayed for educational reform in LA for years.

Back to DKEL's original post.....please go look in the Sticky for a new posting I am going to put there now.

Bless you all....and hope to see you in Nawlins soon! I'll be the crazy brunette at the Carousel Bar or Napoleon House.....lol....

Hewlett, New York
Level Contributor
678 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: who to give to

I'll be the nutty blonde right next to ya notop!!!!

Just a note regarding giving to some smaller charities. My family has volunteered a home through share your home. They emailed my mom asking for patience as the generousity poured out by the American people has them completely overwhelmed. And just think, they are a smaller charity. I would assume that all of the charities are working in overdrive to find temporary housing, plus getting food and money to those displaced. In addition, there are school needs to address as well. I am confident that our money will get where it needs to get as soon as humanly possible. Just a suggestion: I have just learned that certain companies (ie: Bed Bath and Beyond to the Red Cross) and individuals (ie: Barry Manilow) are matching donations dollar for dollar. Although I made a personal donation on behalf of my family, I also took a collection at a Labor Day party and matched funds with that to send to the Red Cross. Now, that donation will be doubled if I go through Bed, Bath or Manilow.com. Just a suggestion to make the most of your donations!

On a separate note: loveNola, I know how crazy your life is right now and I dont want to overwhelm you any more, but I am trying to organize a personal items drive here in NY on my local level with hopes of getting actual "stuff" to victims once housing begins to get a bit permanent for those folks displaced right now. I'd like to get some advice from you and talk privately (if you'd agree). Is there any way to reach you off forum? Thanks, Kelly