We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what neat souviniers would you brin home

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
what neat souviniers would you brin home

Being this is our first visit, what are some neat things to bring home, whether they be in liquid form, sweet, hot and spicy. What would be true to NO

Thanks

Goteed1
Level Contributor
373 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

I always bring something home from a local artist, usually that has some reminder of New orleans. They have so many great artists in galleries, in Jackson Square and The French Market, there's always something that really touches me and helps me to remember my trip.

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

I bought a really cool Christmas tree ornament that was a mardi gras mask. In the past, I have brought back mufalettas, hurricane mix, hot sauce, and boudin. Now - if only I could figure out how to bring back Acme's char-grilled oysters.....,

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

We usually bring home a bottle (or two) of Absinthe, some Camellia brand dried beans (can't find them anywhere in GA, and they are the best), and yet another "Creole Cat" print by Charmaine O'Mahony from Belle Louisianne, or anything from Daniel Rhodes' collection at the Crabnet on Decatur.

On our last trip in Feb. we fell in love with the hand-carved "singing" frogs a vendor was selling in the French Market, as well as the homemade soaps and lotion bars offered by the Kettle Moraine company, also in the French Market.

You can also buy the artwork online at:

thecreolecat.com

thecrabnet.com

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

They sell tile/porcelain coasters at the flea market that have various pixs of NO on them. I thought that was such a neat idea! I brought home 4, and now have constant reminders of my trip on my coffee table.

2 different tables sell these, and 1 is more expensive than the other, so look for both to find the cheaper price. I got mine 4 for 14$, or they sell individually for 4$ each.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

There's a great list already made. just do a quick search in the forum. I believe it was last year. I love bring home some raunchy shot glasses, a bourbon street sign, a mini gator head, a couple high quality t-shirts. Don't buy the cheap white t-shirts that you see all over the quarter for something like 5 for $20. They aren't worth it, are very thin and will shrink. Go for a thicker t-shirt.

NJ
Level Contributor
718 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

Since no one mentioned it yet: one or two cans of coffee from Cafe DuMonde. It's sold in EVERY souvenir store, but I prefer to buy directly from them - they sell more of it then anyone else, therefore better chances of getting the freshest batch.

And I actually like the way we make it at home, then at the cafe. I feel that there's it's made a bit too week and with too much milk, but that's just my personal taste.

Also, if you have cigar lovers on your souvenier list, stop by Cigar Factory on Decatur. (They also have a smaller shop on Bourbon). Just make sure you buy the cigars at the prices they list on the internet, they tired to charge me more in store, when I asked about the mail-order price, they were glad to honor it.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

Pralines, cafe dumonde coffee set, hot sauce, mardi gras mask, painting of NO on roof slate, absinthe, paul prudhomme food seasonings set, and maybe have your portrait done in Jackson Square.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

Wunderlust, thanks for the tip on the cigar pricing. Love their cigars.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

Thanks everyone, this is a great list. No one mentioned pralines, yes or no to them.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what neat souviniers would you brin home

Absolutely yes to pralines. My favorites are from Southern Candies on Decatur St.