We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

labor day weekend

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
labor day weekend

hello.

i was wondering if it's safe to travel to new orleans during labor day weekend. I'll be flying in from NYC. is it a good idea since it's hurricane season?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: labor day weekend

Safe? Sure, provided there's no storm. No way to tell in advance. Two of the past four Labor Day weekends have been impacted by storms but that's unusual. Overall, I'd say there's maybe a 10% chance that a hurricane will impact your plans.

Labor Day is also the weekend of Southern Decadence, the "gay Mardi Gras." It's generally confined to the "lower Quarter" so you can avoid it or partake in it as you see fit! The parade's a hoot for gay or straight alike, though, and I encourage you to check it out.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: labor day weekend

I really want to come for Southern Decadence some year. The one year that we actually planned our trip to be there at that time, well, that was 2005, just a week after Katrina. So obviously that year didn't work out for us, but I'm hoping to make it some other year for Southern Decadence.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: labor day weekend

It depends on your tolerance for frustration.The rates are lower for a good reason. lat year I was coming down around labor day and Gustav happened. Even as the hurricane was still in the gulf approaching the coast my airline Delta refused to let me reschedule my flight. Their customer service even lied to me saying the hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm. I was standing in front on a TV with CNN on and the hurricane had just forced the airport to close. The airline customer service told me to go on my flight from Cleveland to Atlanta and if then the airport was closed in New Orleans they would fly me back to Cleveland. Hand to God that is what they told me. Only after 9 phone calls over days did they offer to give me a credit so I could fly down a few weeks later.

I'm telling you this so you will understand how hard it may be to make changes in the event of a hurricane. If you do travel then I would suggest refundable tickets.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: labor day weekend

You don't want to be in Baton Rouge or New Orleans if there is a hurricane churning in the Gulf. As the other poster suggested, if you want to try it, make sure everything you book is refundable.

My birthday is Sept. 2. I've had to cancel quite a few parties in my 55 years over Labor Day Weekend. Remember Katrina hit August 29; Gustav on Sept. 1. Just be very alert to activity in the Caribbean 10 days before.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: labor day weekend

For August and September its always good to pay up for a 'refundable ticket'.

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: labor day weekend

thank you everyone!

7. Re: labor day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 07:17