We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel help..PLEASE...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hotel help..PLEASE...

looking at staying at Royal St Charles or Queen and Cresecent Hotels both in the French Quarter...looks like a good rate at both OR staying out at Metarie area...I know I have been told to stay in the French Quarter but that area looked nice also.. I was just wondering how much hassle it would be to go To the French Quarter at night and try to find parking.. Again traveling with a 22/18 yr kids prior to a cruise...THANKS

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

Neither the Royal St. Charles, nor the Queen and Crescent are in the French Quarter. If you want to spend time in the Quarter at night, finding parking is a hassle. Many of the hotel lots are full by then and there are other lots, but not really close to Bourbon if you will be drinking and out late. I suggest staying in the Quarter at the Monteleone, Omni Royal Orleans, Royal Sonesta, Place d' Armes, or perhaps the Provincial (has their own parking). Go to neworleansonline.com for more hotels/BnB's etc.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

I would advise against staying in Metairie. It's all suburbs, and you'll really miss out on the New Orleans experience. Look into the Warehouse District or French Quarter. And it IS a hassle to find free parking in the FQ at night - but there are plenty of pay lots if you don't mind shelling out.

These are some reasonably priced hotels in the FQ: Place d'Armes, Hotel Provincial, Le Richelieu, Dauphine Orleans.

Try Hotwire.com for great rates too!

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

I don't know anything about the Queen and Crescent, but I have stayed at the Royal St. Charles. It's across Canal St. (one block down) from the French Quarter (Royal St. becomes St. Charles on the other side of Canal). Thus, the location is great for French Quarter activities. It is not a posh hotel, but during our stay in Jan.,'08, we found it to be clean, comfortable, and somewhat charming. If you get a great deal and are not expecting a 5 or 4 star hotel, I would recommend it. There is a bar/lounge area adjacent to the lobby and at night, it seems to be a popular place with loud music. However, our room was quiet. Enjoy your trip!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

Please forget about staying in Metairie...it isn't worth the little bit of $ you will save. We have stayed there a couple of times during Mardi Gras but only because we couldn't afford the high mardi gras hotel rates in the Quarter. Any other time of year we always stay in the Quarter...it makes the whole New Orleans experience much more special.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

thank you !!! we picked those 2 hotels because they said they were in the french quater or very near and they included parking and breakfast at a good rate...

we considered Metarie area only because my wife and daughter both LOVE to shop. the idea would be just to drive to the French Quarter for sight seeing.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

should have also stated we have a 18 yr old son...will he be permitted in most night spots with us? and should say wife not much of a drinker...hope this helps...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

There's really not great shopping in Metairie except for generic strip malls and the Lakeside Mall (which isn't even that good!) whereas the French Quarter has a lot of great boutiques and the French Market for souvenirs. Plus, if she wants mall shopping, there's the Riverwalk Marketplace and Canal Place shopping center right there as well!

Also check out Magazine St - http://www.magazinestreet.com/

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

Shopping is much better in the Quarter than in Metarie....lots of boutiques on Royal and Chartres, clothes, jewelry, antiques...walk Decatur/N. Peters from the French Market to Canal for many more shops and Canal Place. Then walk over to the Riverwalk Shopping Center for more.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
682 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

Try Hotel St. Marie as they are offering free parking through September. Also, Le Richelieu offers free parking. Both are in the quarter with reasonable rates. I stayed at Hotel St. Marie a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the hotel.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
112 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel help..PLEASE...

Here is my 2 cents....I am not as experienced as some of these guys (who I depend on a lot), but I have used priceline 3 times now going to New orleans and I get a 4 star hotel at 45.00 per night. You name your own price , chose the hotel with the number of stars you want, and chose the area you want to stay. A hotel may pick it up or you may have start again with anotheer price, then I only go up by 5.00. These hotels NEED to fill up all rooms, so you get what they can't feel up....and NO BOOKING FEES...I know...sound like a commercial...but I PROMISE I DON'T WORK FOR PRICELINE...LOL

I am an educator (now you know my salary...lol) and I am always looking for a deal.

Again, I am a novice at all of this.