We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in New Orleans

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in New Orleans

A few of us are considering going to New Orleans.

We are enjoying sightseeing when we visit a city.

Could anyone please tell me what sort of stuff you cna do in New Orleans.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

That's an awfully broad question! Take a few minutes to browse the forum, and you'll begin to get a sense of what the city has to offer. You also might want to pick up (or skim) a reputable guidebook. Most guidebooks will suggest itineraries based on the length of your stay.

How long a trip are you planning? How old is your group? Are you interested in history? Architecture? Food and drink? Music? Shopping? Partying? Some or all the above?

Tell us a little more about you and your interests, and we'll be happy to make suggestions.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

I'm sorry that my topic is so vague.

We are in our mid to late 30's.

The trip is for Nov 11th to 14th. By the way, how is the weather for that month?

We are interested in sightseeing, a bit of history and culture, the architectural is a definite, shopping is a must, and who wouldn't love to eat especially we would love to try southern food for sure.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

The weather in November is generally pleasant, though it can get a little chilly at times. Light jacket/sweater weather mostly.

As for activities, definitely spend time exploring the French Quarter. Lots of history and culture, along with some nice boutiques and souvenir shops. I'd also recommend a tour of the area: the haunted tours are quite enjoyable such as Bloody Mary's tours or Haunted History tours.

Frommer's has some good itineraries to get you started: frommers.com/destinations/…0020020766.html

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

The Garden District has lovely architecture and I always recommend the $7.95 green self-guided tour book with map and architecture + history info. This is available at the Garden District Bookshop at the corner of Washington and Prytania. You can take the street car there, buy the book and wander around at your convenience. While you're in the neighborhood, have a meal at Commander's Palace, 1 block from the bookstore.

BUT, New Orleans' cooking is not exactly Southern cooking. There is a big difference, unless you go to the Praline Connection, I think.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

here's my list. please note that i misspelled Audobon in the link, so it's not going to load correctly. You'll most likely have very nice weather in november. it won't be warm enough for the outdoor pools, but maybe just a light jacket in the evening will get you by.

however, in saying that, realize you'll need to pack for everything. on our trip in december, it snowed the day before we arrived and then got up to the high sixties/low seventies the next few days)

have fun!

-k

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19698-IN_SEARC…

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

The French Quarter is one of the oldest residential neighborhoods in America. Since this (from you question) seems to be your first visit to the city, I would recommend staying in the Quarter. I would also recommend that one of your first activities might be to take a buggy ride from Jackson Square to acquaint yourselves with the area. The Quarter is @ 12 blocks by 12 blocks and has many of the "oldest" in America....oldest cathedral, oldest convent, oldest bar." There is also a free walking tour available from the Parks and Rec. headquarters on upper Decatur. In addition to Bourbon St. where one can still find good music and drinks and food, if one wants. There is Royal St. for antiques, shopping, strolling. There is Decatur for the French Market area and there is the lower Quarter area for exploring the residential section. There are bars and restaurants everywhere.

Be sure to ride the St. Charles Streetcar into the Garden District, get off and explore, have a lunch special at Commander's Palace with 25 cent martinis and go across the street to a small neighborhood cemetery. You might also want to ride the free ferry across the Mississippi to Algiers and walkabout. Audubon Park is worth visiting as is City Park, and just next to the Quarter is Marigny, with more clubs, music and food.

7. Re: Things to do in New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:18