We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Reunion

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Family Reunion

Hey Folks!

15 to 20 of us were thinking of meeting in NOLA for a week or so in April of 2010. Looking for moderately priced accomodations, food and activities. Where would YOU stay? Where would YOU eat? What would YOU do? Keep in mind, we would be doing some things as a large group, and, of course, couples will be going off and doing things on thier own as well. Ages going are from 19 to 70. Need some good suggestions to spark further ideas. Thanks!

-SOGGY

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Reunion

first, aim for early April, before French Quarter Fest to save on hotel prices. Or come during it and enjoy the city even morem, but pay a little more for the hotel. Look into the Marriot or Sheraton on Canal St for central locations with blocks of rooms for group rates at moderate prices. There is also the Hilton at the end of Poydras St.

there is so much more to answer, I know, but this should be able to help you get started. And, i'm sure others will add in many other comments to tell you what to do and where to go hang out.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Reunion

Thanks lasfloras!

-SOGGY

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Reunion

I'd recommend staying inside the French Quarter. For reasonably priced hotels, look into the Iberville Suites, Place d'Armes, Bourbon Orleans, Dauphine Orleans, Astor Crowne Plaza, and Prince Conti. These hotels should get you started. You should also find some good deals on Hotwire.com or Bookit.com.

Keep in mind April is festival season, so if you're here for French Quarter Fest or Jazzfest, crowds will be heavy.

Definitely explore this forum, as there are lots of good ideas out there!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Reunion

Thanks for the tips wt786!

-SOGGY

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Reunion

maybe even call a couple hotels, to let them know you're bringing/arranging a group. many times hotels will cut deals/give amenities (free breakfast, etc) to attract a group. I like both the Renaissance Arts and the Renaissance Pere Marquette (just a short walk to the FQ and both gorgeous hotels).

also...you can contact a couple of restaurants to hold a group dinner. Muriels has a group menu and will hold private parties in their upstairs seance room. www.muriels.com

also, maybe arrange a group tour to get everyone together and get a better lay of the FQ. I always use Bloody Mary www.bloodymarystours.com.

I work in the travel industry and i find that adding a few things in (especially group dinners) to make it as inclusive as possible, really brings more people in.

good luck!

-kelly

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Reunion

Thanks for the help Kelly!

-SOGGY

7. Re: Family Reunion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 07:25