We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

Hello

My husband and I are planning a trip for feb 2010 which will include a few days in New Orleans we don't want to be there for Mardi Gras which I know is Feb 16th but if we come the week before say the 9,10 and 11 would it still be crazy? The 11th is our anniversary so would like to do it that week but can switch the dates if needed.

My second question is I have started to look at places to stay found a good rate at the Drury Suites on Poydras st. Is this area safe and is the French Quarter a walkable distance from this hotel and also the D Day Museum which is a must we will also do a day trip to visit the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge hubby is a navy veteran and big WWII hisory buff.

This is his trip to celebrate finishing his MBA in dec and we will also be visiting Pensecola to see the naval air museum and the USS Alabama in Mobile.

Last question I promise what about places to eat we like small little local places the best nothing real expensive or real fancy just good cooking.

Thanks Marie

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

It will be a bit busy with parade activity then, but manageable and enjoyable. The French Quarter might be a little crazy though. The Drury Inn and Suites on Poydras is in the Central Business District and it is a very safe location, right near the street car line. It's a bit of a walk to the French Quarter from there as well as to the WWII museum. You'll probably want to take a cab to the museum and probably one for returning from the FQ. And, one of my favorite places for down-home cooking is Li'l Dizzie's which you would need to take a cab too. From there you can take a long walk back to the edge of the French Quarter and if you want, you can explore the Marigny area easily or the far end of the FQ and then cab it back to the hotel.

Just FYI, Pensacola is about a 4 hour drive (depending on you) and Mobile is about 2 1/2 hours from here.

Hope this helps.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

We stayed at the Drury Inn last year. The FQ is about 4 or 5 blocks away, but we walked it with no problem. Keep in mind though, that the FQ is several blocks long and wide, so you will definitely need to put on your walking shoes. Not sure about the WWII museum. The hotel was very nice. Our only complaint was that there weren't any restaurants close by - I think the closest one was at least 4 or 5 blocks away.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

WW II Museum about 8 blocks from you hotel. Lil Dizzies has a branch in the Whitney Hotel 2 1/2 blocks from your hotel. The WW II Museum, formerly the D Day Museum is great and will take up a day of your time. The museum is about to open a new restaurant/ canteen run by noted New Orleans chef John Besh. It will have reasonably priced food and entertainment based on reports.Feb 7th will be the Barkus Parade in the French Quarter. This is a great dog parade with dogs in costume, floats etc that benefits the SPCA. Your hotel will be near the parade route for other parades that weekend beginning Fri Feb 5, 2010.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Also looking at The Richelieu Hotel in the French Quarter loks reasonable and includes parking any thoughts on this hotel.

Any recommendations for places to stay just don't want to break the bank.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

You won't have a problem finding inexpensive good food in New Orleans. A few of my favorite places are:

Johnny's PoBoy for breakfast

Napoleon House for muffalettas (and to soak up the incredible atmosphere)

Clover Grill (open 24 hours...the best omelettes I have ever eaten, and also very good burgers which are cooked under a hubcap)

I'm sure others will have suggestions too...all of the above are in the French Quarter.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

Le Richelieu is very nice...we have stayed there several times because of the free parking. It is in the quiet part of the Quarter. My one complaint about Le Richelieu is that it used to be that they did not have ANY no-smoking rooms. Their idea of a no-smoking room was to use air freshener to cover up the smoke smell (and in all honesty, we never did smell smoke in our room, but it could be overwhelming in the lobby area). However, the last time I looked at their website it looked to me as if they do have non-smoking rooms now.

Not trying to start a smoking debate...just trying to give some info in case you are a non-smoker.

7. Re: need a little direction on visiting New Orleans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 07:25