We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mardi gras parades

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
361 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
mardi gras parades

When i researched the mardi gras parades, I didnt see for any in the evening of Fat Tuesday. Do the parades only roll in the morning hours on Tuesday? I saw afternoon and evening hours for parades on other days, but not Tuesday.

thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
427 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mardi gras parades

No, there are no later parades on Tuesday. Some of the truck parades are still passing in the afternoon though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mardi gras parades

Nope, Mardi Gras really culminates with the year's royalty as presented in the morning Zulu and Rex parades. The truck parades following Rex usually last until about 4-5pm or so, but that's it for the season.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mardi gras parades

The weekend right before Mardi Gras is always my favorite time. We also enjoy Orpheus on Monday night. Truck parades on Mardi Gras Day get overwhelming or maybe by that time, I'm just exhausted from catching beads for five days!!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mardi gras parades

We do actually have a late parade..at midnight the street sweepers and squad cars get everybody off the streets so they can begin the cleanup.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
427 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mardi gras parades

Ah, the parade of shame. Never been. I'm a 'family Mardi Gras' kind of gal.

Went to Bourbon once on the night of Endymion. Never again.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
361 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mardi gras parades

One more question. How long, on average, do the parades last? Bacchus, Orpheus, Zulu and Rex....want to make reservations at restaurants around the parade times but not sure how much time to allow for parade, getting through crowds and to the restaurants.

Thanks for the help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mardi gras parades

Depends on where you stand, since you have to include time for the parade to start. Once it gets rolling to where you are, parades last anywhere from between 1.5 hours to 3 hours on average, especially with the large ones. Also, you have to factor in possible breakdowns, etc.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
361 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mardi gras parades

ok, that gives me some ideas on how to plan reservations. thanks

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
327 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mardi gras parades

You also need to consider where the restaurant is in relation to where you catch the parade! Traffic can be a beast after a parade, especially if you don't know the city and the side streets and shortcuts to take.

10. Re: mardi gras parades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 05:17