We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

We just got home yesterday. We had such a wonderful time and I would like to thank everyone that gave us amazing advice and made our trip great. We loved New Orleans! We ate so much and enjoyed every bite!

Friday- We arrived at 1:00 PM and walked around the French Quarter. We stayed at Le Richelieu. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It had so much charm. It is an older hotel, but that adds to its personality. The lobby is very cool. The pool was wonderful and our room was great- very comfortable. It had a wonderful location- easily accessible to all things in the French Quarter. One of our stops was to Lafitte's Blacksmith and after a bit more walking around, we went to the Napoleon House. They were both a great place to stop for a drink and conversation. We went back to the hotel pool for a bit and then off to Coops Place for dinner. It was scrumptious- I think the best pasta dish that I have ever eaten- Pasta Rosa! My husband loved the fried chicken!We then went to Frenchmen Street to Jimbeaux( Spooted Cat) and had a fantastic time listening to the music. By now, it was 9:30 and we went to Bourbon Street and went to Fritzels for more jazz.

Saturday- They had the Running of the Bulls. It was fun to watch the people in the streets with the roller derby girls. We then went to Cafe du Monde for breakfast- Yummy!After, we went to the St. Louis Cathedral- beautiful and The Presbytere in Jackson Square to see the Mardi Gras displays. I enjoyed that. Then we went to the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum. That was really interesting! Of course, it was now time for lunch and we went to Johnny's Poboys. Wow! The portions are huge. We shared a shrimp poboy and it more than enough! Then back to the pool. That night for dinner, we ate at Fiorellas Cafe in the French Quarter. It was very good. I had the muffaletta. At 8:30, we met at Lafittes to take our Bloody Mary Tour of the Undead. We had fun.

Sunday- We did one of our favorite things. We went to the New Orleans School of Cooking. It was so much fun. It started at 10 and went until 12:45. We learned a lot about New Orleans history, and also how tp cook some great food. If you go, come hungry, because you eat all the food that they make-it is a full meal. First they started with hot biscuits, then we ate gumbo, jambalaya, bread pudding and pralines. They also gave you as much iced tea, coffee or Abita beer that you wanted. It was a great morning. Pat did our presentation.

On Sundays, in Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro on Frenchmen Street at 3:00, they have no cover charge to listen to the music. We went there and saw 2 very talented musicians. Then, of course after that, we went back to the pool. That evening, we went to the Gumbo Shop and ordered the gumbo. It was very tasty. After dinner, we to Bourbon Street to the Funky Pirate and listened to Blues. Another great day!

Monday- We went on the St. Charles Streetcar to go to Lafayette Cemetary- very interesting. We then walked around the Garden District and looked at the beautiful homes. We got back on the Streetcar and rode the whole distance. It was breezy and a pleasant way to see the Garden District. Then back home to Le Richelieu and the pool. In the evening, we went to Acme Oyster House for dinner. The fried shrimp was excellent! We went back to Jimbeaux for some more music.

Tuesday- we had breakfast at Stanleys. It was excellent, but a little expensive. Then, unfortunately- off to the airport. We loved New Orleans and hope to definitely return.I know there are many things we did not get to do on this trip. Again, thank you to everyone. We really appreciate all the help you gave us to make this trip so memorable!

Athens, Ga
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

I am going next month and can't wait to try Coop's and eat at Johnny's. I might have to look into the cooking school, that sounds great!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

We loved the cooking school. If you go, check out Neworleanscoupons.com (I think that is it). We were able to get two $3.00 off coupons. It was delicios and really fun. They also give you the recipes, and so we are going to try to make our own gumbo next week. Enjoy!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

http://www.neworleanscoupons.com/

I just checked and this is the website for the coupons for the cooking school ( and other things).

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

Thanks for the great trip report! Sounds like you had a great time! I am looking forward to those same afternoon dips in the pool between meals, drinks, and exploring! :)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

Nice report. Why am I suddenly hungry?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

Thank you for the report, sounds like you had a great time.... I miss NO. :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

Thanks for your report! That's a great tip about Snug Harbor for those that want to listen to great music but avoid the cover charge!

8. Re: Thanks so much!- Trip Report: July 10-14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 07:35