We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veggie Friendly Restaurants

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Veggie Friendly Restaurants

Hello! We will be heading to New Orleans next month. I've done some research and am trying to compile a list of vegetarian friendly restaurants in the French Quarter, where we will be spending most of our time, and also the Garden District, where we will be spending a day. One of us is mostly veggie but eats some fish occassionally (fish only, no shellfish) and the other is a meat eater that would probably tolerate veggie options sometimes, but not for every meal. Anyone have any suggestions on good places to check out in this respect, that would be good for both of us?

Follow up question: What about Commander's Palace? Anyone know if they offer or are able to provide veggie options?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

Curious, this is really a non-issue. Just ask your selected restaurant if they can do something veggie, i.e., call ahead if you're worried. Our 14 yo daughter is veggie and we've been eating out all over town with her for the last 3-4 years with no problem, even if we just show up and ask for something on the fly. I wouldn't fret about this in the least. Friday we ate at Nirvana on Magazine for dinner (Indian) and today we got the veg plate at Mona's on Magazine (Middle Eastern) to eat during the Saints game - sorry 'bout your Jets!! No biggie here. We've always taken her with us from Stella to Delmonico to August to Petite Grocery to Crepe Nanou to Martinique and never had a problem. Certainly not an issue anywhere Uptown; they're used to it.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

hi curious!

I too am a veggie and a frequent nola visitor. i use the site www.happycow.net to show me vegetarian restaurants throughout the world (I'm relying in them heavily for my trip to Southeast Asia next month).

Cafe Bamboo on Esplanade is a vegetarian only restaurant (i think the only one in the city) and was pretty good. They incorporated alot of creole flavor in their menu www.cafebamboo.com

another favorite for me is in the garden district on magazine street (a great place for funky unique shopping) and it's Juan's Flying burrito www.juansflyingburrito.com great GREAT food, lots of veggie choices and excellent prices. lots of stuff for the carnivores too!

Muriels in Jackson Square www.muriels.com always has a decent vegetarian option on the menu and it should please your non-veggie friends as well

Believe it or not, a forum-favorite, Coop's Place (divey, local, with surly waitstaff) www.coopsplace.net has a veggie burger on the menu and is more than willing to remove the shrimp/chicken from any of their pasta dishes. This place will definitely be a favorite for the meat/fish eater.

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to contact me on here. I also have more detailed descriptions of the restaurants on my blog www.kellymeetsworld.com

have a blast in the big easy!!!

-kel

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

Thanks guys! That helps a lot! Joshlufsgirl, I did see the Cafe Bamboo site and menu. It looks really good! I can't wait!!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

Surrey Cafe had great breakfast options that weren't meat related. Johnny's poboys does omelets and poboys that could easily be meat free and their biscuits melt in your mouth! I know Surrey's has an on line menu and maybe Johnny's, too.

Verti Mart had the most amazing baked mac n cheese I've ever eaten as well as many other delicious sides-mind you it's a take out place but I think it's my new favorite place to eat in NOLA!!! They have their menu on line.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

curiousquest,

i loved my sol' chicken po'boy (fake chicken) at cafe bamboo. great chance to check out all the awesome places on esplanade afterwards (snug harbor, apple barrel, etc)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

Louisiana Pizza Kitchen (French Market) has awesome spinach/sun-dried tomato calzones. I'm not a vegetarian but it's what I get almost every time I go! The red beans are really good, too, but I don't know if they include meat.

Florida
Level Contributor
856 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

I think a new restaurant, the Green Goddess has vegetarian dishes. I've never been there but read some good reviews on it.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

I haven't been to GG either, but ate Chef Chris' food at the Delachaise many times and he puts out some very good, creative things. If you look at the dinner menu on the link, the small plates offer several veggie options. I am a Surrey's fan, too, but haven't had anything but breakfast there. Elizabeth's has veggie options, too. Great Bloody Marys, too (vodka is a vegetable, right?).

http://www.greengoddessnola.com/

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

Any good restaurant will fix a vegetarian dish upon request but there is also a listing of restaurants that have vegetarian dishes etc. on www.nomenu.com

NY
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Veggie Friendly Restaurants

I'm a vegetarian and never had trouble finding food anywhere. Most of the places will make something for you if you let them know. The gumbo shop actually has rice and beans, or vegetarian gumbo on their menu. The Praline Connection, (real good food) does their white beans and rice with no chicken stock, so it's also vegetarian and is probably some of the best I've had.