We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

My husband and I will be visiting New Orleans for 4 days/3 nights during the second week of December. We are thinking of driving from New Orleans to Lafayette, where we'll spend a day and have dinner. Then, we'll head down to Nottoway Plantation to spend a night because we think staying at a plantation would be much more memorable than a hotel in Lafayette. The next morning, we'll take the plantation tours and head back to New Orleans. Can someone let us know if it would be too late to drive to Nottoway after we finish dinner, say at Randol's or Prejean's in Lafayette? Would it be easy and safe to find the roads? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be "safe" but as for "easy," I don't know. Louisiana roads aren't always marked as well as they should be! From Lafayette. follow I-10 to LA 1 (right before the bridge at Baton Rouge) and go south to White Castle. Nottoway is in White Castle on LA 405, the river road, so it's pretty easy to find. WC is a SMALL town! :-)

California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

Thank you so much for the tip. Do you know if GPS works well here?

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

GPS probably works fine. Just be sure and stay on La.1 until the turn for Nottoway. The highway gets curvey through Plaquemine. I would also make sure Nottoway knows that you are arriving late. You may want to try the Grapevine Restaurant in Donaldsonville (very close) for lunch the next day.

Grapevine Cafe' & Gallery - www.grapevinecafeandgallery.com

211 Railroad Ave, Donaldsonville, LA - (225) 473-8463

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

For what it's worth, my GPS and iPhone work far better in Louisiana than they do in California! I don't think you'll have any issues with technology here.

California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

Thanks so much for the recommendation on Grapevine. Do you know how that is compared with B&C Seafood? I feel like we are going to starve for a week before coming to Louisiana so we can stuff in all the good foods there!

California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

that's funny about your GPS comment.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

I would recommend Grapevine since it is more upscale with a better variety of specialty Louisiana dishes. We brought friends from NYC there this summer and they still rave about it. You can also get po-boys, etc. if you prefer. Check out their website. Below are the directions from LA. 1 so you won't be backtracking from Nottoway:

DIRECTIONS FROM LAFAYETTE Take I-10 east towards Baton Rouge. Take a right towards the Plaquemine exit (Hwy. 1) which is just before you cross the Mississippi River Bridge. Continue on Hwy. 1 South through Plaquemine and White Castle until you get to Donaldsonville. Turn left on Railroad Avenue (just before the McDonald’s). The Grapevine is located at 211 Railroad Avenue. It is on the right hand side of the road and is a 2 story 1920’s commercial building with a green striped canvas awning. Approximately 1½ hours driving time.

Are you planning to visit Laura and Oak Alley on the way back to NOLA? If not, I would just take the Sunshine Bridge over to I-10 for a quick drive back to NOLA.

I'm curious what your plans are for Lafayette. If you're not locked into that area of the State, Baton Rouge would of course be closer to Nottoway and has lots of wonderful restaurants, universities and museums, especially Shaw Center roof top garden overlooking the mighty Mississippi. Don't want to confuse you but didn't know if you had considered a visit to Baton Rouge and/or had specifics in mind for Lafayette.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

Me again. I'm rereading your initial question. Is this your first trip to New Orleans? If it is or if you haven't been often, I think you should consider staying in New Orleans since you only have 3 nights. Don't get me wrong, Nottoway would be a great adventure but I just don't want you to miss soaking up the real New Orleans atmosphere with so many things to see and experience there. Again, I don't want to confuse you. There's just so much to do in four days/three nights!

California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

ILoveLouisiana, thank you so much for the thorough answer. I will be in NO for a week for business before my husband joins me for our vacation. So I figure I'll get to see a bit of the city, but we would love to hear your suggestions on what to do in NO as well. Here is what we plan to do during our 4-day vacation. We welcome everyone's comments, especially on best restaurants and driving routes.

Day 1 (Wednesday): My husband arrives at 5 PM. Dinner in the FQ.

Day 2 (Thursday): Rent a car. Drive up to Lafayette (3 hours). Lunch at Prejean's (1.5 hours). Swamp tour with Cajun Country Swamp Tour in Henderson (2 hours). Drive down to Nottoway (1.5 hours). Dinner at Grapevine (2 hours).

Day 3 (Friday): Tour Nottoway and Laura. Walk the ground of Oak Alley. Lunch at B&C Seafood. Drive to Thibodeaux to see Bayou country. Then continue up highway 90 North to quickly head back to NO. Dinner in the FQ.

Day 4 (Saturday): Garden District walking tour. Lafayette Cemetery. Lunch at Commender Palace. Depart for the airport for 3 PM.

California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe and easy to drive to Nottoway Plantation at 8 PM?

I want to add that I would like to have 1 meal experience in Lafayette because I read it's a big hub of Cajun country. Initially, I thought we'd have to stay for dinner because Randol's is only open for dinner and it is so well received in this forum. Then, I realized that Prejean's is open for lunch. However, we are not fixated on going up to Lafayette if we learn there are other things to see and do closer to NO. Regarding the swamp tour, I read that the swamp in Henderson is more interesting.