We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
596 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

We will be taking the Garden District Holiday home tour either the 12 or 13 (Sat/Sun) of December. Would like to have breakfast/brunch in the Garden District. Don't want Commander's Palace as we will be going there for dinner. I've heard that Blue Plate Cafe is good but can't find a menu. Any comments or suggestions on either Blue Plate or other restaurants will be appreciated.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

I thought the Blue Plate Cafe was great, but you should be aware that it's in the Lower Garden District, not the Garden District proper. If you're on a tight schedule, take that into consideration.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

Blue Plate is a decent place for breakfast, not great. Cafe Atchafalaya has a nice brunch and while also technically not in the Garden District is is very nearby. Note they are BYOB if that makes a difference to you.

http://www.cafeatchafalaya.com/

If you feel adventurous, a new place, Coulis, just opened a couple of weeks ago in the old Bluebird Cafe location on Prytania, just outside the Garden District. I have heard good things in two early reports and the chef has a good pedigree.

bestofneworleans.com/gyrobase/Content…

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

Surrey Cafe on Magazine is great. Cash only.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

I'll second Surrey's Juice Bar (Cafe)! But although it's only 4 blocks off the St. Charles Streetcar line, it could be a ways from the place around St. Charles where your tour starts.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

I'll third the rec. of Surrey's - good place, but be prepared for a substantial wait on weekends if you don't go fairly early. Gott Gourmet on Magazine also has breakfast on the weekends and is not bad if you're in the area.

http://gottgourmetcafe.com

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

We enjoyed the Blue Plate Cafe (there in mid September). You're right, no menu online but I remember a nice selection for breakfast/brunch items like omelets & all sorts for egg dishes, wonderful french toast, grits, fresh baked scones & muffins and even yogurt & granola and fresh squeezed OJ! They may fax you a menu if you request it...

7. Re: Breakfast/brunch in Garden District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2010, 05:17