We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

My son is a freshman at Loyola on St. Charles. He says he never has enough $$ to eat at any of the restaurants that serve good local fare, creole, Cajun, etc. I know he's taking the street car to the quarter and reading menus and not having any luck. I've named a few places (i.e. Casamento's on Magazine & The Gumbo Shop in the Qrtr.) but with me being in Chicago I'm unable to help him. Hopefully some NOLA posters can name a few less expensive spots.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

There are so many places near Loyola & Tulane that are "local fare" and inexpensive. I'd have to ask why he's going into the tourist area (French Quarter) to find eats on the cheap? As he networks with his peers, he'll find plenty of places near by St. Charles Avenue and Loyola U.

Here's a list by neighborhood, cuisine, etc. that should get him started and you to raise an eyebrow. Hmmmmmmm lol!! 1,039 restaurants are listed, as well as prices, ratings, etc.. Check out the "Riverbend" area.

www.nomenu.com/open/index.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Your link with the lists is exactly what I'm looking for. The reason he is going to the qrtr is he's only been in NOLA for 3 months plus it's a direct route on the streetcar. So far none of them stray very far from St. Charles Avenue ;-)

Thanks so much!

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Cafe Maspero on Decatur, Gumbo Shop on St. Peter,, Johnny's Po-Boys on St. Louis, El Gato Negro across from the French Market, Coops on Decatur, Yo Momma's on St. Peter, Verti Mart on Royal, Mona Lisa on Royal, Clover Grill on Bourbon, Buffa's on Esplanade, Port of Call on Esplanade, Croissant d'Or on Ursuline, Bennachin on Royal....all in or on the edge of the Quarter.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Thank you, skt54.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Concerning Zoke's list info, it is excellent. I've used it many times. The ones in the Riverbend area are in the Tulane neighborhood as well as others in the Uptown area listing. We especially like Joey K's at 300l Magazine for a delicious home cooked affordable lunch or dinner..I think they even serve breakfast. Camilla Grill is a famous diner on Carrollton very near Tulane that is a New Orleans institution. He doesn't need to spend time going to the Quarter to find good affordable food when there are lots of choices near campus but it's always fun to ride the street car to Bourbon Street for an adventure!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Thank you!

I forgot to mention that he does frequent Camellia Grill!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

Lots of affordable places in the University area or not too far away, as one would expect:

Cafe Freret, Panola St. Cafe, Refuel - breakfast

Boucherie - very affordable for what you get

Sara's - Indian in the Riverbend

La. Pizza Kitchen across street from Camelia Grill

Bangkok Thai and Basil Leaf for Thai

Frank and Johnny's - (mostly) cheap and local

Cooter Brown's for oysters while you watch a game

Jamila's -Tunisian on Maple

Maple St. Cafe - eclectic menu

Lebanon's Cafe and Babylon Cafe - Lebanese on Maple St.

Dunbar's for Creole lunch, now on Loyoal's campus

apps and small plates at Dante's Kitchen

These are but a few choices. No need to ever go to the Quarter for eats if you're a student unless you just want to. I would second ILL's rec of Joey K's, although it's quite a ways from the University area. Note that they are NOT open for breakfast these days (used to be many years ago when I lived in the Garden District).

8. Re: Searching for inexpensive restaurants Uptown/Garden & Qrtr.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 05:19