We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manassas, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

suggestions. We are coming April 16 to April 20, 2010 with friends. There will be 8 of us. All wanted to experience it all.

The Sights, Taste and Sounds... we love music,food & dancing!

Where the locals go to eat??

Night life?

What are the things we Must Do?

Help ?

covington,la
Level Contributor
774 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

Tipitina's or Rock n bowl for music! take a cab. Mahoney's or Parkway for po-boys. No local orders Jambalaya at a restaurant!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

I'd first start with some sample itineraries. Frommer's has a good one: frommers.com/destinations/…0020020766.html

Also, please do a search of this forum, as there is a lot of information on here to help answer your questions.

A couple suggestions: Definitely check out Frenchmen St for live music - locals love this place too! New Orleans is known for its food, but crawfish will be in season, so try to check out a crawfish boil (I like Jaeger's Seafood and Deanie's Bucktown branch).

new orleans
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

About locals not ordering jambalaya in restaurants, you can get a pretty decent one as a side dish at the Acme Oyster House in the FQ--well thought of for all kinds of seafood--we love the place, and you'll see a line outside unless you shoot for off times.

Manassas, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

Thanks Everyone... I printed off what you said... and can not wait to check everything out! thanks again

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

You might want to consider getting a comprehensive and up to date guide book, such as Frommer's New Orleans 2010, or New Orleans for Dummies (not being personal).

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

My subjective list of things to see and do include:

Bourbon Street. You just have to experience it. Especially at night when it is packed and alive, although it is alive during the day too. While on Bourbon, follow your ears, there are no cover charges. On Bourbon, stop in Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, totally unique, authentic, and great drinks.

During the day, walk any of the French Quarter Streets. You will find hole in the wall restaurants, you will find some of the world's greatest restaurants and everything in between.

Walk the area around Jackson Square, people watch, vendor watch, absorb it all.

Walk Decatur Street, grab a muffaletta at Central Grocery, visit the French Market, visit the shops. Coop's is on Decatur, a small restaurant frequented by locals and tourists alike, specializing in fried chicken. And of course, Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets. In the area around Cafe Du Monde and Jackson Square you will see street performers.

Also in front of Jackson Square are the carriage rides, a good way to get an overview of the Quarter.

The suggestion that you pick up a guide book is good advice. It will list places that I have forgotten to mention. Also read this board every day, do a search on topics that interest you..

The magic of the French Quarter is that it is alive, it's not contrived. People live there, people work there, and people play there. Lots of people. Join them, and you will come back again and again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

If you go to Rock 'n Bowl, try their Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya. It's not the best I've ever had, but it's pretty good, and it's certainly worth the $7 or so that they charge for it.

Edited: 19 February 2010, 22:45
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

I'm a local...and I order Jambalaya! Try Coop's on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. It's a dive bar extraordinaire and we love it.

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

I'm a local and I order jambalaya at restaurants, too!

new orleans
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer to Nola - staying in french quarters area...need

Not sure how "concrete" your dates are, but if wanted to experience NOLA music then you might want to delay your trip for a week.

Jazz Fest starts on the weekend of April 23 and continues for two weeks. Not only great music, but some the best, local food anywhere. Fried soft-shell crab po-boys and crawfish enchiladas are my favorites. Probably the best festival in the nation to truly experience the local culture of a particular area.

Great music, great food, great people, great times.