We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swamp/Plantation Tours?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Swamp/Plantation Tours?

Hi TA :

I need some recommendations on Swamp and Plantation tours. We will be there April 7thru 12th(with no car). I've looked at a few websites and they all seem to run around the same price which seems to be more with hotel pickup. I would like to pick the best one,which gives you the most for your money. It seems like we can't avoid that extra transportation charge.

Please give any suggestions/websites that might interest me.

Thanks a bunch

Mentioned in this post
The Swamp
The Swamp
81 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

Hi Spencer, I'm interested in what the experts will say on this too because I'm looking at the same kind of trip. Somewhere in a thread someone suggested just renting a car for the day since the tour companies only provide transportation TO the plantations. Once there the tours are run by the folks at the plantation. I doubt renting a car is cheaper than the transportation fee charged by the tour companies, but at least you have some flexibility. Or, once you reject the idea of renting a car, maybe the transportation fee won't sound so bad to you. For now, I'm exploring renting a car.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

For swamp tours, I've taken almost all the ones in the area, and I've found Cajun Encounters and Honey Island Swamp Tours to be the best. They all offer transportation to/from.

As for plantations, Tours by Isabelle and Old River Road Adventures have good package deals to multiple plantations, such as Laura and Oak Alley.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

Do you recommend the swamp tours during February?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

Wendy,

My friend and I didn't want to rent a car. Simply because we plan on doing a lot of things on foot. From what I gather swamp/plantation tours run from $15-25, then with trans it jumps to $60 ! So we'll see.

Edited: 25 January 2010, 19:47
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

We did rent car for the day form a downtown rental in walking distance form the hotel. $50 and a very enjoyable day doing the swamp tour and exploring the other side of the lake. We did it because the Honey Island tour wanted to pick us up SOOO early in the morning, plus it added a lot to the price for 4 of us. Much cheaper & easier to drive, IMO.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

We just did all this and I would HIGHLY recommend renting a car. We got a brand new 2010 Dodge Charger for $35 total inc taxes and it was great to have the flexibility. We picked it up from the airport and dropped it off on Canal just a few blocks from our FQ hotel - perfect!

We went to Laura and Nottoway and I couldn't find any packages that had those two from the tours and I thought they were both do not miss. Plus we could eat where we wanted to eat, stop off and snap photos, walk up the levee and look out over the river, you get it. Even with just two people we would have broken even or better with one plantation visit, since we did two we came out quite a bit ahead on the $s.

We had a swamp tour reservation and cancelled it as we were told by LOTS of people that its not a do not miss when its cold, including the honest tour operators I spoke with. The group in Slidell (Dr Wagners) was highest recommended repeatedly before we went and when I asked around in NOLA.

Mentioned in this post
Slidell
Slidell
Louisiana
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

We rented a car for 2 days and did the plantations on one day and the next day we drove down for the swamp tour. It was great being able to be in control of our own schedule, the only down side is paying for parking at the hotel. I calculated it all out beforehand and it it actually saved us almost $200.00 by renting a car! I also recommend Airboat Adventures for a swamp tour, those guys are GREAT!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to ask my friend if she wants to reconsider renting a car.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

I'm going to jump in here, too, and ask if anyone who's rented a car for the day for a swamp tour can tell me how much of the day that took up? I'm debating the same, and I'm not sure of how far Honey Island would be from the French Quarter. With four of us together, I'm almost certain it would pay to just drive ourselves. I'm just not clear on whether this is an "all day" thing or a few hours. Thoughts? Thanks! :)

-DD11

New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Swamp/Plantation Tours?

Same here DerelictDaughter...

The tours with transportation start around $50. We're trying to see if renting a car would be better...