We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need restaurant help for picky eater

Albany NY
Level Contributor
483 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Need restaurant help for picky eater

We're visiting New Orleans next week. I've been there once before -- many years ago. My husband has never been there.

One of my biggest planning issues is restaurants. My husband is an extremely picky eater. He will not eat onions, peppers or mayonnaise -- and that is only the beginning. He will not eat most sauces. I basically tell him that if a food has flavor, he won't eat it.

He will eat blackened fish and enjoys shrimp, chicken and beef. What I'm looking for are a few restaurants where he will be able to get something relatively basic and/or the cooks/chefs will not mind leaving off some of the stuff with flavor (sauces mainly).

We're going to be in town for four nights. I'm looking for one or two "nice" restaurants and the rest of the places a bit more casual. We're probably going to try Coop's and maybe to Port of Call. Any suggestions? We're staying in the CBD, but have no problem walking or taking a taxi.

Thanks!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need restaurant help for picky eater

Deanie's on Iberville in the French Quarter (traditionalists prefer their Metaire [Bucktown] location) offers quite a few fried and broiled no-sauce selections. The restaurant is casual, yet nice, and is moderately priced. I've enjoyed my meals there. See:

http://www.deanies.com/

Be warned however, the barbequed shrimp is not grilled, but rather sauteed and served in butter sauce.

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need restaurant help for picky eater

Coop's ..... for a picky eater?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,050 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need restaurant help for picky eater

"Coop's ..... for a picky eater?"

Not a big fan of the place, I know I'm in the minority lol...but the menus for both Coops and Port of Call are on line on their website and I think both have plenty of options for someone wanting "plain" food. Coops has grilled pork chop with a salad and fries, cheeseburgers, blacdkened or grilled chicken breasts. Port of Call of course has hamburgers, and steaks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need restaurant help for picky eater

For a nice dinner, you might want to try Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse, which has Creole specialties as well as traditional steaks and seafood.

Port of Call is a great choice. I'd also go with Johnny's Po-boys (lots of meat and fried seafood choices).

Albany NY
Level Contributor
483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need restaurant help for picky eater

Thanks for the reponses.

My husband laughed when he read my post.

And I must clarify -- even though he is a picky eater, he is really easy-going about it. His attitude is that he can always find something to eat. So even though he is a pain, it's really not that bad.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks...

6. Re: Need restaurant help for picky eater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 06:18