We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Streetcars and busses

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Streetcars and busses

I thought I read here that there are 3 main lines, but when I went to NORTA, there were about 50. So now I'm confused. Are the streetcars just a fun tourist thing, or are they another workaday option just like the bus? Are passes interchangeable?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Streetcars and busses

There are 3 streetcar lines, Riverfront, St. Charles, and Canal St. The other lines are bus routes. The streetcars are very real transit devices.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Streetcars and busses

The unlimited ride passes are good on all busses and streetcars.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Streetcars and busses

Loopwhole is 100% correct. Technically, the streetcars are the same as bus lines. They just have much cooler equipment. For whatever reason, ridership goes up in HUGE numbers when streetcars replace buses. I'd like to see 10-15 more streetcar lines in the next 10-20 years.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Streetcars and busses

The streetcar route numbers are:

St. Charles Avenue: #12

Canal Street: #47 (to Cemeteries); #48 (to City Park).

Riverfront: #2

Streetcars, while hardly swift, are more pleasant and atmospheric than buses, and will get you within strolling distance of most places a visitor would want to see.

Buses are faster (once you're actually on them), but more erratic than printed schedules would lead you to believe. It's a loosey-goosey town!

Magazine Street is a 15-20 minute walk from St. Charles Avenue. To travel any great distance along Magazine Street (it's 6 miles long), hop the #11 Magazine Street bus, which goes the entire length of Magazine in both directions.

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans City Park
New Orleans City Park
3,763 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magazine Street
Magazine Street
983 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Streetcars and busses

Also note that the #47 Canal Street streetcar ends where Canal Street meets the river, whereas the #48 streetcar TURNS at the river and continues along the #2 Riverfront route, ending at Esplanade Avenue.

In other words, the #2 and the #48 both travel along the riverfront, and the #48 continues up Canal Street.

Esplanade Avenue is the dividing line between the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,472 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Faubourg Marigny
Faubourg Marigny
375 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Streetcars and busses

The #48 no longer goes along the Riverfront route. See:

http://norta.com/showadvisories.php?id=368

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Streetcars and busses

Thank you, Loophole!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Streetcars and busses

Slate, how'd you create the new avatar? Way cool.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Streetcars and busses

Thank you, highway61!

I did a Google Image search for "New Orleans street tiles." After downloading some images, I patched together my name (Photoshop), added some ivy, and Bingo!

Someone ought to design a NOLA street tile font set. Wouldn't that be cool? You'd want to start with really good, sharp pictures. It'd be fun to roam the city for a day or two, just photographing tiles.

Thanks again!

Edited: 03 March 2010, 03:24
Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,346 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
10. Re: Streetcars and busses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 06:20