We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presrvation Hall

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Presrvation Hall

Is it appropriate to take 7 y.o. here? He loves music, but I don't want to take him to a cafe or bar where things might get too rowdy.

Edited: 08 March 2010, 18:47
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Presrvation Hall

Yes, it is fine. They don't even serve drinks there. The only problem is that I believe they don't open until later in the evening, about 8 or so, and there is usually a long line.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Presrvation Hall

Yes. No smoking, no drinking. Families with kids usually go earlier in the evening. See:

www.preservationhall.com

Doors open at 8:00, music starts very shortly thereafter. People start lining up between 6 and 7.

Edited: 08 March 2010, 19:01
NJ
Level Contributor
722 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Presrvation Hall

The problem for you might be

a.) Seating is limited. I must have been there 20 times, was never able to get a spot on the bench.

b.) It gets HOT. No AC in the place, just a large fan in the back, but if you stand too close to it, you can't hear the music.

Unless your 7 year old is an avid jazz lover, I can see the possibility of him getting bored or annoyed rather quickly. Although I *think* I've seen children there before. No alcohol = quieter crowd.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Presrvation Hall

You will get a big yes from me.

My parents took me when i was about 10 and i've never forgotten it. I took my son as a teen a few years ago and he fell in love with NOLA (so much so that he's a music major in college there). So I'd say if you have a 7 year old who loves music, then he should definitely experience Preservation Hall.

The audience turns over about every 20 minutes tho so others who have been waiting in line move into better viewing spots & some are even lucky enough to snag a spot on a bench.

I say if you have an inquisitive 7 y.o. this might be the beginning of a budding musician!

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Presrvation Hall

Etude, great post.

6. Re: Presrvation Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 07:34