We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants open on Sunday evening

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants open on Sunday evening

Any suggestions for restaurants open on Sunday evening? We would like something other than Cajun or Creole, because the plan is to go to Emeril's on Saturday and Dick and Jenny's on Monday, and brunch at Commander's Palace on Sunday (the latter without DH who has to work) We will have our 6 year old with us.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

How about seafood? Red Fish Grill is a good, family-friendly choice in the French Quarter. http://www.redfishgrill.com/

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

Since you have several special meals already planned, you may want to hop on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar and head to Camellia Grill. It's a classic New Orleans diner and would be fun for the 6 year old. If you want to stick near your hotel (I'm assuming that you're staying in the Quarter or near), you may want to check out a casual restaurant for pizza, po-boy or hamburger. We love Lucy's Retired Surfers Bar in the Warehouse District but there would be options in the Quarter. I always see recommendations for Yo-Mama's for the best hamburger. Deanie's is a casual restaurant but would primarily have fried seafood. I'm sure that your hotel could make recommendations. Also look at www.opentable.com for restaurant ideas. Domenica (John Besh restaurant) in the Roosevelt for pizza may be an option.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

How could I have forgotten this idea...We just had a wonderful brunch yesterday at Dante's Kitchen (near the Camellia Grill) and noticed that they are open for Sunday dinner beginning at 5:30. It was a wonderful experience. Check out their website to see if it would appeal to your child. There were children there for brunch and it's nice and casual with indoor and outdoor seating.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

Dante's looked fun, but I am not sure what DS would eat. Nor does he like pizza or fish, and fried food does not sit well with me. Camelia seems to be mostly a breakfast place...other thoughts?

We are booked into the Sonesta, but I am having second thoughts. Is that a good location with a young child, next to Bourbon St.? Would I be better off at the Westin or Monteleone or Loews? DH is attending a conference at the convention center, and is willing to do whatever works for the family.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

How many days will you be there?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

We arrive Friday night and leave Tuesday around noon. DH stays until Wednesday evening. The first weekend in May, so I thought would be useful with DS in the afternoon.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

OK, here's my take on it with traveling with a child. I would recommend you looking into Iberville Suites or a suites hotel near the Convention Center. I have always believed that a kitchen (or kitchenette) is just a must with a child/children. I know you want to be near the Quarter during the day so start with Iberville Suites. We had friends from Scotland stay there over the holidays with two children. They loved the property and the proximity to the Quarter. Your husband could take the streetcar to a walkable point to the Convention Ctr.

So what exactly does DS eat? I'm curious because I've had two very picky children who finally enjoy food!!! I know that it's extremely difficult at times but eventually will work out.

Keep me posted and I'll be thinking.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

If you're worried about the Royal Sonesta (it's really not a major issue and there are side entrances away from Bourbon), I'd look into the Omni Royal Orleans or Monteleone.

The Omni has a fantastic central French Quarter location, with great proximity to the Aquarium/Insectarium. I'd look there first!

Plus, Napoleon House is across the street and has good eats. And Bacco is just down the street (good Italian Creole cuisine!)

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

Thank you for your replies. I will see if Omni has any availability. Is it the same quality as the Sonesta? Iberville Suites received mixed reviews on TA, we were hoping for an upscale property with an outdoor heated pool ( I am not sure if the Sonesta's is heated). Since we are foregoing the suites, the larger the room, the better---how is the room size in these hotels, I had the impression they were on the small side...We are wait listed at the Westin, what do you think of that option.

DS is a funny eater. He loves most vegetables, non-citric fruit, rice and beans, sausage, hamburger and steak, salmon salad, french fries, chinese food, chicken roast occasionally. No chocolate, nothing on his pasta (not even butter or cheese), no sweet breakfast foods, no sandwiches...

Edited: 13 April 2010, 15:18
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurants open on Sunday evening

The Omni is definitely as upscale as the Royal Sonesta and has an outdoor, rooftop pool! The rooms in the French Quarter tend to be on the smaller side, but just make sure to specify a larger room if you make a booking.

The Westin is a fine hotel, but it is more corporate, cookie-cutter and doesn't have the New Orleans charm that is present at the Omni/Royal Sonesta/Monteleone. The Westin is connected to an upscale shopping mall, with a small food court as well.