We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Traveled 4/15 - 4/20 with my hubby, and teen daughters 14 and 15. Whenever I mentioned that we were vacationing in NO with the kids, people looked at me like I had 6 heads! Boy, what they don't know is that NOLA is the perfect spot for a family trip! We travel alot, and we all agreed this was one of the best trips EVER! Thanks to all here on TA who answered my endless questions, allowing me to plan for our great time! Your info was invaluable.

DAY 1 - Started out from home early - 3 AM! - and flew into MSY, rented a car through enterprise. Took Loopwhole's advice, and stayed in the french quarter, so glad we did! Made it to the Monteleone by noon. Was pleasantly surprised that our room was ready for us. We had a preferred double, which is slightly larger, and able to fit the rollaway bed we had requested. A decent view of the fq rooftops, the room was still smallish, but very clean and comfortable. service was excellent, every person smiling and welcoming. We immediately headed out for lunch. Had certificate from restaurant.com to house of blues. Not too crowded. We sat out in the courtyard to enjoy some sunshine! Neat atmosphere. Attentive waitress. The kids and I had yummy burgers,Hubby a pulled pork sandwich, that he liked, and a very impressive bloody mary at the urging of our waitress. We asked some hurricane katrina questions, and our waitress sent out the manager, who had lived there through the whole ordeal. She graciously sat and spoke with us at length. The hospitality community really pulled together! So great to hear her stories first hand. Then it was on to the aquarium, that we all agreed was the best one we've been to. (saved $20. with online coupons :) ! ) Spent a couple of hours there, then strolled along the mighty river up to cafe du monde for beignets! Yum! Grabbed a table with no wait, and enjoyed the activity around us. Feeling fortified, ventured into the french market for a little teen shopping time. Then back over to Jackson square for a carriage ride. Our guide was excellent (don't remember his name, but our sweet mule was firefly!) filled us in on lots of history, and pointed out many landmarks. Then it was a slow walk back to our hotel, buoyed by the jazzy music of an unexpected parade passing by- did I mention I love this city? When we got back to our room, a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaited us! When I had booked , I had mentioned it was an anniversary trip ( we actually got engaged in NO) Now that's service! So after a little bit of the bubbly, we ventured out to dinner at Oceana. We had certificates from restaurant.com, and had read great reviews on TA so were excited to try it - but were very disappointed. My crab cakes were very good, as was the catfish, but the other meals, not so much. My husband who is not usually a picky eater could not even eat his steak! perhaps he should have stuck with seafood...The service was good though. At this point we were BEAT, and went back to the hotel and crashed. More to follow....

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your TR.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Can't wait to read the rest, sounds great so far!! I sooo know what you mean about telling people you're taking the kids to New Orleans. I'm in the process of planning a family trip..can't wait!!..and I get people looking at me like, why would you bring them there? LOL It's great to hear that your kids enjoyed it. :)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Very good TR so far, keep it coming. The unexpected parades are always a treat that makes one smile. Never been to Oceana Grill; comments range from wonderful to awful.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Love your report so far-so detailed :-)

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Enjoying your TR so far. I always get a good laugh when people suggest NOLA is not a good place for kids to visit...thousands of children and teens call this place home!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

So glad that you had a charming trip. New Orleans will do it to you every time! My children have grown up there on visits, especially during Mardi Gras, and absolutely love it. Looking forward to your future posts.

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

Taken my teen daughters and their friends 4 times now. We love it and its an 8 hour drive for us, so a very reasonable trip. Great TR so far.

8. Re: Trip report with teens - we love NOLA!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 05:17