We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden District Dining Recomendations

Arkansas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Garden District Dining Recomendations

My girlfriend and I will be visiting soon for a long weekend and for the first time in 20+ visits we won't be staying in the Quarter or the Marigny area. We are staying on St. Charles and would like some local recs on dining in this area, we have ruled out Commander's Palace perferring something more casual and laidback but still wanting really good locally influenced food. Any suggestions ???

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

You might try the Upperline (ate there 8 years ago and it was excellent--if you watch HBO's Treme, it made an appearance in the episode of May 9; thw owner played herself). Dick and Jenny's, although not strictly in the Garden District (it's a block or so north of Tipitiana's) is also supposed to be good. Both are much lower key than Commander's.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 13:26
Connecticut
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

I would second the recommendation for Upperline. Also, we are very fond of Lilette on Magazine st.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

Lots of good local restaurants on Magazine...Joey K's for one..very casual..good plate lunches/dinners. We also love Dick and Jenny's and Dante's Kitchen. Reginelli's is good for pizza/pasta...two locations on Magazine.

Check out www.nomenu.com. Restaurants are rated, many reviewed and listed by neighborhood. Usually very accurate info.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

Lilette is not a casual restaurant. I agree with the Dick and Jenny's recommendation. There are lots of good local pizza and Mexican restaurants near that area, such as Slice and Juan's Flying Burrito. I do NOT recommend Voodoo BBQ. Would you be willing to hop on the St Charles Streetcar and head uptown? If so, your dining options open up tremendously.

Abbeville
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

So many to choose from - agree with above replies. I love Dante's Kitchen and another good one I recommend is ONE Restaurant and Bar, both are located in the Riverbend/Carollton Area and you can get there by streetcar.

http://danteskitchen.com/

http://www.one-sl.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

Try Le Crepe Nanou located on the corner of Prytania & Robert St. Very much a local restaurant. We tried it about a month ago by chance (even tho we had read excellent reviews) and we were pleasantly surprised. The cuisine is not "heavy" French fare. It was bustling with locals of all ages. The quirky decor has a charming bohemian feel with low lighting. It was an all around delightful experience and we will return.

Afterward, walk across the street to the Creole Creamery, another charming New Orleans institution (I would consider it a "must do").

http://www.lacrepenanou.com/about_us.html

http://www.creolecreamery.com/

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

My daughter and I stayed in the Garden District a few weeks ago in a great B & B. For dinner we went to Joey K's one night--it was good, but not great. The second night we went to Eleven 79, using the street car as suggested, and it was outstanding. I highly recommend it.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

For whatever reason, I've always found the restaurant selection in the Garden District to be somewhat lacking. Uptown offers much better choices. In addition to all the great recommendations so far, I'd add Casamento's and Jacques-Imo's (in Carrollton/Riverbend) for good casual, local food.

Slightly off topic, but could a local enlighten me about why the Garden District is lacking in restaurants? I realize that the population isn't as dense as Uptown, but still...

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

If you want to travel farther uptown a higher-end (at least pricewise, I don't know how formal it is) is the famous Brigsten's.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garden District Dining Recomendations

Brigtsen's is definitely worth the trip, but most men wear jackets. It's a lovely atmosphere, but not really casual or laid back.