We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

We are due to go to NOLA one week from tomorrow. The entire purpose of this 5 day getaway is to indulge in oyster and libations. Hubby has been watching the nrws and is convinced the oil spill has ruined our plans. CAn we still get lots of seafood & have the good time we were looking forward to?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

My daughter just returned on Monday and she said there were no issues that she was aware of.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

No. I am coming down next Wed and wouldn't dream of canceling.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

Cancel your trip to NO?!?!?!? Never!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

But seriously, there hasn't been any mention on NOLA.com or anywhere's that the food industry has been affected yet. Go!!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

Follow the recommendations of the above posters. Don't listen to all of the media hype.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

We were in NOLA last week and while most of the food at Felix's left much to be desired, the oysters being shucked at the counter looked big, fat and juicy.

Cancel?

No way!!!

AR
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

As of yesterday, the local oyster distributors were estimating that it would be at least a week before their supplies were exhausted.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
427 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

I'd go ahead and take my chances now before we all get the swine flu and the world ends in 2012. ;)

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

Don't cancel. May is a wonderful time to visit New Orleans and enjoy our fabulous seafood. I saw a news story on Acme Oyster House here in Baton Rouge last night; they were shuckin away with beautiful oysters. I think that some fishing areas west of the Mississippi have already reopened. Don't forget that it's also crawfish time and those inland ponds have not been impacted in anyway by the spill. We're heading to Sammy's here in Baton Rouge tonight for a few platters of boiled crawfish! Can't wait!!

NJ
Level Contributor
709 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

If they told me I couldn't eat at all for 4 days, I'd still go - alcohol has calories too!

That said, food is a big part of NO experience, but it isn't all based on oysters. Chefs in NOLA can make anything taste good. I wouldn't cancel. But on the subject of oysters, I did read on nola.com that the price of oysters has gone up by about $5 per gallon. It's a big increase. So even if they do have them, be prepared to pay more.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you cancel your trip if you were me?

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, don't cancel!! :) New Orleans is great for seafood, but it has many other amazing things to offer. There is other great foods to try and just being there is an experience in itself...go, and enjoy!!! :)