We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!

My significant other and I will be in New Orleans this Thursday to Sunday. Can someone please make some restautant suggestions. We are up for pretty much anything. One night we would like to have more of a romantic/fine dining. Also, what are the must see's while we are there for this short weekend? I appreciate all the help but it is kind of overwhelming!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

Don't be overwhelmed; many on this Forum envy you. The primary New Orleans attraction is the French Quarter itself. Don't confine yourself to Bourbon St., although Bourbon St. must be explored. For romantic restaurants see:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k310770…

For a map see:

neworleansonline.com/assets/…FQMap.pdf

My "canned" list of must see and do:

Daytime walk 200 - 1200 Royal St, - See note on Carousel Bar and Lounge below.

Daytime walk Ursuline Ave. between Royal St. and Decatur St.

Daytime walk 600 - 1200 Decatur St. - See Café du Monde, Jackson Square and Central Grocery below.

Daytime or early evening walk Jackson Square, passing surrounding buildings and going through Pirate’s Alley. Mule drawn carriage rides depart from here.

Nighttime walk 200 - 1000 Bourbon St. - See note on Laffitte’s Blacksmith Shop below.

Ride St. Charles Avenue Streetcar (requires exact fare [$1.25]) - Board one block from French Quarter at St. Charles Ave. (Royal St.) and Common St. Time permitting, get off in Garden District (Washington Ave.), at the “Bend” (at Carrollton Ave.), and at Oak St. If you are boarding more than 3 times that day (including end of line), get a $5 day pass when first boarding (available on streetcar). See Commander’s Palace below.

Laffitte’s Blacksmith Shop - Bar in historic (1770s) building. 914 Bourbon St.

Carousel Bar and Lounge - In the Monteleone Hotel at 214 Royal St.

Café du Monde - Cafe au lait (coffee with chicory and cream) and beignets (fried pastry). 800 Decatur St.

Central Grocery - Best muffuletta (sandwich). Open Tue-Sat 9:00-4:00. 923 Decatur St. Get your sandwich, chips (Zapp’s) and drink to go; picnic on the River bank (across the street), or if weather is bad omit the drink to go and eat in Harry’s Corner bar (allowed with purchase of drink) at the corner of Chartres St. and Dumaine St.

Commander’s Palace - Traditional and famous NOLA restaurant. Corner of Washington Ave. and Coliseum St. (2 blocks off St. Charles Streetcar route). Consider lunch (M-F 25 cent martinis) or brunch (S-S) to allow for Garden District walking tour, including Lafayette Cemetery (closed Sunday) across the street.

Some other popular activities/locations: National World War II Museum, dueling piano players and/or flaming patio fountain at Pat O’Brien’s, Blaine Kern’s Mardi Gras World, Old Ursuline Convent, free morning (9:30) History of New Orleans French Quarter walking tour given by the National Park Service Jean Lafitte Park and Preserve’s Folklife and Visitor Center, and various other French Quarter walking tours (ghost, haunted, voodoo, historical, cocktail, culinary, architecture, etc.).

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,731 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,257 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Garden District
Garden District
7,424 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Quarter Walking Tour
French Quarter Walking...
133 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Hotel Monteleone
Hotel Monteleone
8,092 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Lafayette Hotel
The Lafayette Hotel
597 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Lafitte Guest House
Lafitte Guest House
576 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Carousel Bar
Carousel Bar
1,678 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cafe Du Monde
Cafe Du Monde
29,491 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,314 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

Just a couple of my husband and my favorites from our 1st trip together include...

RESTAURANTS (all casual/very reasonably priced): Coop's Place, El Gato Negro (food AND margaritas!), Acme Oyster House

DRINK SPOTS: Lafitte's, Molly's at the Market

MUSIC SPOTS: Funky Pirate (Mark Penton), Fritzel's

TOURS: Frommer's self-guided walking tour of French Quarter and Garden District (download avail. online); Lafayette Cemetery Tour (saveourcemeteries.org); Swamp Tour (Cajun Encounters); Ghost/Voodoo Tour (Bloody Mary's tours)

Have a WONDERFUL trip! Loopwhole is on target when he says that most of on the forum envy your upcoming trip - soak it all in!

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,257 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Garden District
Garden District
7,424 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cajun Encounters
Cajun Encounters
2,979 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bloody Mary's  Tours
Bloody Mary's Tours
602 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Lafayette Hotel
The Lafayette Hotel
597 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
El Gato Negro Mexican Restaurant
El Gato Negro Mexican...
596 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Acme Oyster House
Acme Oyster House
7,772 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

Thank you so much for the detailed information! I am sure we will have fun! Thanks again!

Edited: 18 May 2010, 16:29
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

For romantic fine dining I'd sugges Susan Spicer's Bayona in the courtyard

Mentioned in this post
Bayona
Bayona
1,401 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
5. Re: Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 07:15