We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oysters

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wish it was marigny
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Oysters

We will be down the weekend of August 6th. I was just wondering how the oyster situation was. I see on the cam from Acme that they are still serving oysters and I realize that this isn't 'suppose to be the best time for them' but I have always had great oysters when I am in New Orleans no matter what time of year! Also, does anyone know if Luke's is still haveing thier 3-6 happy hour with drinks half price and oysters 25 cents?

TYA

Courtney

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oysters

Oysters are generally still available but a few restaurants (Deanie's on the lake, for instance) has stopped offering them rather than raise prices.

I'd be surprised to see them offered as low-cost options at bars, etc., as in the "pre-BP" days.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oysters

Raw oysters in August are never a great idea. However, this year will probably be a little worse. While other seafood items have remained readily available, oysters have been scarce and very expensive. I believe that Luke is not currently offering their oyster happy hour.

I look for the oyster situation to recover but perhaps not this winter. The Sunseris (of P and J fame) were on television the other night pushing for a delay of the opening of the November oyster season. Their reasoning was that the oyster crop needed more time to recover. Most of the damage to the oyster crop, it seems, is due to fresh water intrusion. The fresh water was allowed, by the corps, to flow more freely in order to keep the oil at bay.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oysters

Just got back Wednesday. Ate at Acme on Friday night, oysters were still $10.99 a dozen. Was sure the check would reflect a different price when it arrived and was shocked when it didn't.

Went back Monday night and they had a new menu. It's very nice, btw. Anyhoo, price was up to $13.50 or $13.99, can't remember which. Waitress was very apologetic. We were still impressed with how low the price was.

The oysters were still very good. A few small ones, but yummy and a bargain for sure.

nj
Level Contributor
731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oysters

wheres luke's? that sounds awesome. I know french market restaurant on decatur offers 50 cents 3-6

New Orleans...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oysters

Oysters are still available at most restaurants in New Orleans, although you may find that they are a bit more expensive than usual. Seafood from Louisiana is safe and healthy to eat. There is more scrutiny on seafood safety now than ever before, ensuring that only the highest quality products reach market.

NJ
Level Contributor
715 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oysters

I was going to ask the same thing...

I'm going in October - what do you (local residents) hear about the future of oysters?

New Orleans...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oysters

No one really knows what will happen to the oyster supply in the coming months. However, as of now, oysters are still available and safe to eat.

NJ
Level Contributor
715 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oysters

Thanks. Looked around the web, looks like fishing industry is cautiously optimistic. What blew me away, was an interview with LA crab fisherman, who doesn't want to go back to his business, because the job that BP gave him pays way more than he made before.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oysters

Are there any restaurants/bars in the Quarter that still have "cheap" Happy Hour oysters? We're staying at the Inn on Bourbon next month and won't have a car, so need places in walking distance from the center of the Quarter, please.

New Orleans...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oysters

@ccolor Glad to hear you're coming to visit! Many restaurants are still providing Happy Hour oyster prices, but it changes weekly. If you let us know the exact dates you will be in town, we'll try to send you some accurate info a little closer to your arrival date.