We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Is it safe?

Michigan,
Level Contributor
340 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? Is it safe?

We are thinking of stopping for a couple days in New Orleans on our way from Atlanta to San Antonio. I've never been but have always wanted to visit. Is it safe. We are a group of 6 - me, hubby, 2 kids, 2 adult kids. Where is a good place to stay - clean, nice, not too expensive. Hotel and Area suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
The Pontchartrain Hotel
The Pontchartrain Hotel
#2 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Henry Howard Hotel
Henry Howard Hotel
#4 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Grenoble House
Grenoble House
#5 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Hi michiganmom - New Orleans is a wonderful place to visit and yes it is safe, just use the same common sense that you would in Atlanta and San Antonio. I would recommend staying in the French Quarter as that is where you would spend most of your time. When are you visiting? The time of year that you visit will make a lot of difference in the cost of your accommodations. Let us know and we will try to help you out.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan,
Level Contributor
340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Thank you for your response. We are planning on coming between Christmas and New Years. Somewhere in the middle of that week. We have a wedding in San Antonio New Years Eve. The French Quarter sounds good to me. I appreciate any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

I put in some dates for that week and I am seeing the Hotel Provincial for $99 per night. It is a very nice hotel in the quiet part of the French Quarter but an easy walk to everything. I don't know of any place that will let you put six in a room...are you planning on getting two rooms?

A good site for checking availability/rates is neworleansonline.com, however,after seeing what they are showing for hotel availability, I always check the hotels website to see if they are offering a lower rate.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Provincial
Hotel Provincial
2,969 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Michigan,
Level Contributor
340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

OK, thank you I will check that site and see if that hotel will work. We will be getting two rooms. I appreciate your help.

Michigan,
Level Contributor
340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

I checked the website. The hotel looks Charming. The price is great. There is also another hotel that is called Place D Armes. Is that in a good area. It looked also like the kind of place we'd like to stay. Clean but with local charm - no high rises.

Benton, LA
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Place d Armes is right in the middle of the quarter in probably the most central of all hotels, you can throw a rock to Jackson Square. Its a nice hotel w/ a beautiful large patio but may be too cold to fully utilize at that time of year. They have some windowless rooms (cheapest) that some people do not like so if you dont be paticular. The balcony rooms are the highest of course that front the street and would be great for a first time vistor to get the feel of the quarter.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
13,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
AR
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Just FYI, parking is very expensive in New Orleans. I believe the Provincial is $12 a night, which is the cheapest of the hotels. Place d' Armes is either $25 or $30. Both are moderately priced, well located, safe, New Orleans style hotels.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Hey MichiganMom--I can highly recommend the Hotel Provincial. I will be heading to NOLA in 55 days and it will be my 3rd stay at that hotel. Charming, GREAT location in a quieter section of the Quarter, wonderful staff, and beds made of clouds. Great choice and as Jlr said...good price!

Have fun...and if you stop on the Riverwalk in San Antonio have a Zuni's prickly pear cactus margarita for me :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Provincial
Hotel Provincial
2,969 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,377 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Michigan,
Level Contributor
340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Thank you. I read about the interior rooms. I"m not sure I would like the no windows. Parking is that much? I'll have to consider that. We'll have two cars. Is there a cheaper place to park one? Thanks for bringing up the parking issue. I didn't see any mention from anyone when I read reviews and assumed parking was free.

Michigan,
Level Contributor
340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay? Is it safe?

Deny, thank you. It does look very charming. The price is very nice and I'll have to check into that Margarita when me get to San Antonio. I'm sure we'll head to the riverwalk since my daughters boyfriend has never been there. A prickly pear Margarita?

Mentioned in this post