We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

USA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

If anyone has stayed at both, could you compare/ contrast any benifits to either of these hotels?

Location, ambiance, etc?

Exact same price for our dates for a Junior Suite at Place D'Armes and a Superior King Patio at the Dauphine.

I never have this hard of a time deciding on a hotel, but for some reason New Orleans has me all turned up-side down.

Thanks everyone!

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

I have stayed at Place de Armes The location is perfect...pretty much dead center of the French Quarter. I have stayed in two different rooms...a deluxe courtyard which I really liked and an interior room which I hated. i have heard good things about the Dauphine...I think it's a bit plusher than Place de Armes.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

We always stay at the Place D'Armes. I am weird, I know, but I like the interior rooms. They are so quiet and dark when you want them to be. Fantastic location and very helpful staff.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

I couldn't take the darkness of the interior room, too depressing for me. I will admit it was easier to sleep late in the AM though!

USA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

Thank you both!

Wookie, what a small world...We're from Newburyport!

I really like the look of the Dauphine, but I wonder if the location of the Place D'Armes is really that much of a selling point. If we do choose the Place it would be in a junior suite, so hopefully it wouldn't be an interior room, right? I'm concerned that some recent reviews say that the Place D'Armes is rather "run-down" looking, but it looks like the location is perfect.

As I said in another post, I just can't seem to visualize the distance of a French Quarter block. Is it like a football field in length?

Thanks again, you have all been so helpful!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

Tiki...the distance of a block is more like a long room. lol! Honestly, if it takes you more than a minute or two to get from one block to the next--you've had too much to drink!

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

tik - Blocks in the Quarter are very short. Everything is much closer than it might appear.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

A good example idea! A French Quarter block is slightly shorter than the length of a football field from goal line to goal line (excluding the end zones).

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

tiki--I just google-mapped something for you. Place D'Arms is in the middle of Saint Ann Street between Chartres Street and Royal Street. The distance between those two streets is less than 375 feet. Google says one minute to walk, which is about right, so you'd be 30 seconds from Jackson Square!

Edited: 14 October 2010, 00:28
USA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

So it sounds like the Temperpedic bed and the two person jacuzzi room we have booked at the Dauphine may win out!

I was so concerned that the distance back to our room at night would be off-putting to my husband after a full day of walking around, but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem at all!

Only 3 more weeks!

Do I dare ask for a list of "must have" cocktails for 2 rum lovers?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place D'Armes vs. Dauphine Orleans

The Dauphine location is good. The only time it might be "off-putting" is when coming back from Frenchmen St., and it would not be all that off-putting even then. It is actually closer to the St. Charles Ave. and Canal St. streetcars, and many of the popular restaurants.

Not exactly sure what's in it, but I'm a rum drinker and enjoy a Handgrenade (Tropical Isle). I think the Huricane is rum based; bet Herm or Deny can tell ya.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 00:45