We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 1st trip to New Orleans - Day 1 of 4

Chicago
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
Our 1st trip to New Orleans - Day 1 of 4

First all, thank you all for your advice. I kept saying the whole time there, TA recommended that, TA didn’t recommend that and it paid off. Also used 4 coupons on restaurant.com

Went with my hubby to celebrate our 40th anniversary (yikes, when did that happen!)

Flight from Chicago left at 11:00 am and landed in new Orleans on time at 1:15. Cab ($33) to our hotel in the French quarter. We were staying at Hotel St Marie. We had called ahead wanting a balcony room on the street side. We were told Room 215 was the best room, but that it, and all the other rooms on Toulouse were booked. He said he could put us in room 219 on Dauphne side, and if any cancellations for Toulouse side he would switch us. Well nice surprise - when we arrived someone had canceled we got room 215 . He remembered us , thank you John Marshall. I have to email the hotel and put in a good word for him. The room was perfect, king bed , corner room, with a wrap around balcony over Toulouse and Dauphne. Bathroom was totally remodeled. They had a free breakfast of croissants, danish and fruit. Very basic but just enough to get us started in the morning. This hotel was a perfect choice for us. Fit our budget, great staff, lovely courtyard, great location, 1 block off Bourbon. We could hear the music in the background but not enough to wake us up . ( I will write more about that later) Also a small grocery store across the street with reasonable prices for snacks and beers. Also had a pool and parking, neither of which we used.

Immediately walked over to Acme’s - because I remembered reading there would probably not be a line mid afternoon. Yep we walked right in and sat at the oyster bar. I’m not an oyster fan, so I ordered the chicken and andouille gumbo. Loved it. Hubby ordered dozen oysters, 6 raw and 6 charbroilled. He really enjoyed them and we enjoyed chatting with the the guys who were shucking the oysters. Very fun atmosphere.

Then just walked around French quarter trying to to get our bearings. Spent a lot of time the whole weekend at the Old Oprah House, one block from our hotel, great zydeco band called the Bonoffs. For dinner we had a coupon at Oceana Grill. We had the crabcakes for an appetizer and both had redfish for dinner , his blackened, mine in their signature sauce. Everything excellent and large portions. Later walked over to Fat Catz and listened to a band called “The Connection” Good dancing music and I love to dance. It had been a long day so back at the room by 11:00 figuring we had two more nights to enjoy the night life.

Weston...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 1st trip to New Orleans - Day 1 of 4

I'm reading! Getting ready to head to NOLA this weekend!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 1st trip to New Orleans - Day 1 of 4

yeah, I love trip reports!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 1st trip to New Orleans - Day 1 of 4

Glad you liked the Hotel St. Marie. We stayed there for the first time this past April, and it is now one of my favorite New Orleans hotels.

4. Re: Our 1st trip to New Orleans - Day 1 of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 05:16