We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Beaumont, Ca.
Level Contributor
523 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Like the title states.....

We will be going to NEw Orleans for the first time Thanksgiving week.....

I have been told from friends that I have to try a Muffuletta and a Beignet....

Where is the best palce to go for each. Thank You.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Well Cafe Du Monde is infamous for their beignet and Cafe au Laits, you absolutely have to go there and try them! They're wonderful after a night out on the town before turning in!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,895 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Within and around the French Quarter, the most acclaimed room temperture (traditional) muffuletta is served at Central Grocery (open Tue-Sat 9:00-4:00 [closed Sunday and probably Thanksgiving day]). Although the sandwich is great (my favorite), this is not much of a place within which to eat; get your sandwich, chips and drink to go and picnic on the River bank (other side of the French Market across the street), or, if the weather is bad, skip the drink and eat it at Harry's Corner bar (get your drink there) around the corner and down the block.

Napolean House, also in the French Quarter, serves a warm muffuletta preferred by some (not including me). However, this is a really cool cafe/bar for a snack or light meal, also known for its Pimm's Cup.

Also in the French Quarter, The Market Cafe is becoming known for its muffuletta (have not tried yet).

There are a number of places outside the French Quarter area which the locals, and a few tourists, mention and proclaim the best . Arguments about who serves the best will go on without resolution; you are required to try all the better ones and decide for yourself.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 20:48
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,895 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Sorry, didn't recognize you're posting name, Harry's Corner bar is probably not a good idea with the boys (poker machines - over 21 only), but Napolean House would be OK.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
149 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Napoleon House is my FAVORITE!!! Delish!! I think their olive salad is much better than Central Grocery's! And DEFINITELY go to Cafe Du Monde!! .... although, I have to say, I've never even tried a beignet from anywhere else!! :)

new york
Level Contributor
471 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

AAAAHHH yes all these places are on my MUST EAT list. Can't wait. My mouth is salivating as I type this. Looking forward to eating my way throughout the french quarter in a few weeks.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

We are off to NOLA again in March, and Cafe du Monde and Napoleans are always on our list.

Concord, CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

On the same subject, do you think I'd like a muffuletta if I don't like green olives?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

I also don't care for olives so muffalettas usually aren't on my "to do" list. However, I just scrape them off and give them to my other half. This way, there's still a slight bit of the taste but it's tolerable. The sandwiches are very good and very filling. Order one for two people, definitely!

Easton,Pa.
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

Just back early this morning ( 4 hour Delta delay in Atlanta ). Still have powdered sugar marks on my slacks from the Cafe DuMonde Beignets !!.

Somehow my coffee this morning doesn't taste like their AuLait !! Withdrawal already and it's only been 10 hours !!

Central Grocery on the Muffaletta, had one for lunch on Wednesday sitting on a bench along the Riverwalk by the Natchez. Picked up one to go yesterday morning and split it at the airport waiting for another Delta delayed flight to Atlanta.

We were drawing a lot of envious stares and several people asked us which food kiosk they could get this sandwich at. Probably could have sold it 10 times...

God, I wish I was back in NOLA !!!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to get the best Muffuletta and Beignet...

I don't like olives, but love the sandwich. Doesn't taste like olives to me.