We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

nj
Level Contributor
733 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

Any suggestions?

puyallup
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

Do you mean frog legs? A gators leg can be quite large.

nj
Level Contributor
733 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

alligator legs. cajungrocer.com/alligator-legs-marinated-p-1…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

I've lived in south Louisiana all my life and I've never heard of alligator legs as a menu item. It'll be interesting to see if you can find a place that carries it.

NJ
Level Contributor
730 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

Most places serve tailmeat. I thought it was nothing special. Gator sausage on the other hand....

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

I was channel surfing the other day and saw something about gator legs, maybe on the Food Channel tailgating program. Seemed like they were talking about the front legs (arms), kind of like chicken wings.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

Leg (and tail) meat is used in various products -alligator meat patties, balls, sausage, etc. You are not likely to see it on a restaurant menu somewhere titled "alligator legs". Like CW, I've lived in south La. for 50+ years and I don't recall seeing it called that on a restaurant menu. You will however find the meat at various locations, for instance, I ate at Prejean's in Lafayette last night and they had several alligator items on the menu (crawfish and alligator cheesecake, fried alligator, etc.). You can find the sausage fairly regularly at the Crescent City Farmer's Market on Girod St. on Sat. morning. Alligator po-boys are on this weekend's menu at the Oak St. Po-Boy Festival. It's always available at the Jazz Fest in various forms (po-boys, alligator sauce piquante, etc.). If you just want to buy it, there are quite a few options at meat markets in Acadiana, like Poche's in Cecilia or Bourgeois' in Thibodaux. Cochon Butcher may have it sometimes - they are really pricey however.

It may surprise you to learn that, as a whole, Louisianians don't eat a whole lot of alligator relative to other meats and poultry. When I was growing up, you never saw the meat in a store or a restaurant in the city. Alligators nearly became an endangered species, so a whole generation grew up not eating much of it. Now of course, there are beaucoup gators all over the state. But these is just not a huge demand for it in restaurants outside of tourist-oriented places where visitors mostly consume it as a novelty.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 21:18
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

If those legs are bone-in, as the ad states, they must have come from some very small alligators.

nj
Level Contributor
733 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

right. Bone in.. served kinda like wings i guess.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

You'll be able to get the flavor of it by eating it off the bone too. I've also never seen it in any local restaurant. Heck, I didn't see it at the Luling Alligator Festival. Some places have fried alligator "bites" or blackened alligator (also in smaller, bite sized pieces). Can't think of any off the top of my head, but numerous places will have it, usually on the appetizer menu. It's interesting to say the least. A vendor at the Alligator Festival a couple years back (held at the end of September) once told me, "The more you chew it, the bigger it gets!"

Edited: 11 November 2010, 23:39
10. Re: Restaurant that serves alligator legs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 07:25