We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Topic
Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

We would love to be in or very near the French Quarter but we are in bed before midnight so need quiet (I am a light sleeper). Does anyone recommend a nice hotel in any price range that keeps some NO charm but stays pretty quite at night?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

Hotel Provincial! It doesn't get much better!

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

Villa Convento. Very very quiet and SO New Orleans.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

Mirabella - not sure of your budget but we swear by the Roosevelt. I too am a light sleeper and rarely wake up at the Roosevelt. The beds are to die for (and actually led us to buy a duplicate at home!) and 2 blocks out of the FQ is usually enough to keep things quiet. Tower 2 is especially quiet, though we prefer the rooms in Tower 1 and have the very rare late night shouters far below our room, which doesn't last more than a minute at that.

Enjoy!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

The French Quarter is not as loud as people think. I had this same assumption b4 I went for my 1st trip. Unless you're staying on Bourbon St, pretty much any hotel will be pretty quiet.

If you're a very light sleeper, whatever hotel you choose, maybe ask not to have a room on the street as the garbage trucks do their thing during the night, and chances are it will wake you up.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

Despite all the well meaning advice, you could have some noisy fellow guests at any hotel. The worst problems we have had with street noise waking us was at Inn on Bourbon, (outside room). However, just half a block away at Hotel Ste Marie, we slept like babies. Our favorite hotel is Royal Sonesta, but again, we had some noise problems with an outside room once. After that we always request an interior room and have not had problems there except the occasional noisy neighbor who stays out later than we. Wherever you decide, request a quiet, interior room and I would also call the hotel a couple of days before arrival, talk to someone in real time about it and get their name. Another thing to mention when discussing rooms with hotel staff is to be away from the elevator. Most of the building are very old and some of the elevators are pretty noisy.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

good advice KC, but I would recommend staying off of Bourbon, just BECAUSE of the fellow guests who come to party. We had a beautiful, quiet interior room at the Sonesta, but never got any sleep due to howling, partying fellow guests! :) Provincial, Convento, Place, Chateau and so many others are just steps from Bourbon, but far enough away (2 blocks) to stay "quiet", esp for light sleepers. Maybe an interior room at Place D'Armes--no windows!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

The Place D Armes would be my choice. You will sleep fine there. The location is perfect for any FQ plans you may have.

Place D'Armes Hotel @ 625 Saint Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 524 - 4531.

http://www.placedarmes.com/

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

It's not so much that the French Quarter is noisy (other than within a 1/2 block of upper Bourbon St.), it's that the streets are very narrow and the hotel buildings are very close to the streets. Consequently, if you are in a second floor room overlooking the street, even in a "quiet " area of the French Quarter, your windows will be less than 30 feet from the delivery trucks, garbage trucks, street sweepers and walking late night revelers. Some hotels (relatively recently remodeled) have mitigated the noise with well insulated windows and walls (as now used in better airport hotels). My point, the location of your room within the hotel, and the nature of the hotel construction, may have more to do with perceived noise than the location of the hotel itself.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

I agree Loop

new york
Level Contributor
471 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a nice quiet place to sleep!

I agree with Loop about the FQ hotels. I just put the fan/ac on in the room so I have white noise to drown out noise and my boyfriend's snoring. LOL