We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel

Just starting to plan, which hotel has the best New Orleans charm? Maison Dupuy, Dauphine Orleans or Royal Sonesta.

Maybe another recommendation reasonably priced.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel

can't speak of the Dauphine or Dupuy coz I've never stayed ther, but the Sonesta is gorgeous (not exactly New Orleans charm...more luxury!) The Hotel Provincial is always my pick for a full combo of Nawlins charm and history and hospitality...

When are you coming?

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel

as hermicane said, the Royal Sonesta is very elegant but not charming. Dauphine would be more charming and they have a great bar. I haven't stayed at Maison Dupuy. Hotel Provincial would definitely fit the bill for New Orleans charm, and so would Hotel Villa Convento.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel

Provincial is nice but Sonesta is outstanding right on Bourbon Street and close to a lot of nice places. When are you coming. Good luck.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel

Haven't decided end of April or end of October. We have to fit alot in between so I don't know, and we did just get back from 2 weeks in St Croix so have to pay some bills off first. I'll look into the hotel suggestions. Also the airfare seems a little high for April. Thanks!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
531 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel

Royal Sonesta is by far the nicest of the bunch. Dauphine is charming but a little worn. My folks last trip to the Maison Dupuy left them very unhappy. They return again and again to the Royal Sonesta, it's always been out of my price range or I'd stay there myself.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel

Airfare might be a little high at the end of April and first weekend in May because of Jazzfest. Hotels will be pricey on the weekends also at that time. Open up your trip to flexible travel days. I've neer been to Jazzfest, sure it is a lot of fun. Halloween at the end of October is a big night in town also......good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel

2daisy--The Royal Sonesta is a very nice hotel...but it doesn't have any New Orleans charm. It is a big box hotel. They do have the best doorman/person in the world, Malcolm--a true New Orleans treasure. For charm definitely Provincial or Maison Dupuy.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
657 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel

I've only stayed at Maison Dupuy out of the three. I think there are better places to stay. I thought the room was rather plain jane. I booked my room months ahead for a street view and instead when I arrived they had put me in a courtyard view room. They switched me to a street view room with a balcony. It was very noisy as I was right by the parking garage and there were always people standing outside talking. I didn't ask to be switched again as It was only one night and it was really nice to have a balcony. Also, be advised if there is a wedding you can't use the pool or courtyard.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which hotel

I'm loving all the feed back. Our few days there may have turned into a 2 week road trip going to Memphis, Huntsville, Branson, Kansas City and New Orleans. This will be fun to plan with everybodys feed back. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which hotel

We stayed at the Maison DuPuy over thanksgiving and loved it. The rooms are on the small side, and a little dated, but it was very clean. We booked a room with a balcony courtside and this was a perfect place for our morning coffee and a predinner glass of wine. Since we were there during the week there were no weddings so the courtyard was available. We found the staff to be very friendly and loved the evening entertainment in the bar.

The restaurant had great crab cakes.