We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

DH and I have enjoyed reading about New Orleans history, both distant and recent.

I have read a couple of references from the people on this forum that indicate a like interest. What is your favorite and why?

Full disclosure, I am looking to download some of your recommendations on the new Kindle DH got me fore V-Day.

My favorite to date has been Storyville, New Orleans," by Al Rose

It is the history of the notorious Storyville, (red light), district of New Orleans and the people who found themselves there.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

I just loved this one - it's different, but a definite picture of New Orleans residents.

Managing Ignatius: The Lunacy of Lucky Dogs and Life in New Orleans

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

My most recent New Orleans read was "Madame Vieux Carré: The French Quarter in the Twentieth Century" by Ellis, Scott S.

It is a historical account of the French Quarter in the 1900's. Laws, attitudes, crime, commissions, politicians and politics that shaped the French Quarter we know today.

I can't tell you how many times while reading it, I thought "So that's why X is like that."

It is not as dry as you might expect; all in all a good read.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

One more: Joshua Clark's "Heart Like Water." A great account of his staying behind when New Orleans was evacuated because of Katrina. His descriptions, sense of loss, and documentation of all he saw and experienced provides an insight and understanding of what and why it happened.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

Song for My Fathers by Tom Sancton. A true story (autobiography type) written by a journalist/musician who grew up in New Orleans.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

Thanks for the replys! I was looking for a new book to read to get me ready for my trip to New Orleans on March 17th!

The last time I was there, I read "Feast of All Saints" by Anne Rice! It was great!

Not her usual Vampire books, just a great book about the gens de couleur libres, the free people of color who lived in New Orleans before the Civil War!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

NewNonnie, I also loved "Feast of All Saints.' Read it before I ever went to New Orleans (many years ago) Have you seen the tv production. I think it was done by Showtime. It was very good.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 16:51
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

My address book ---- with the address of someone special.

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

Hi KCK,

With your love of music I think you would really like , The World that made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square. by Ned Sublette.

Traces New Orleans origin back to the swamp, and the influences of Spain, France, and England on music, food, and culture.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

"New Orleans: Elegance and Decadence" is a book I give to guests who are celebrating special occasions with me. It's a gorgeous coffee table book guaranteed to make you smile. Retails for $40 but you can get it on Amazon for less. :-)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your favorite book about New Orleans?

I agree with KC that Al Rose's Storyville, New Orleans is an excellent book and an historical eye opener.

I also truly enjoy "Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children: And Other Streets Of New Orleans" by John Churchill Chase.

nola.com/education/…roads_scholars.html