We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

via Gambit, a new option for late-night carry out in the FQ:

bestofneworleans.com/gambit/…

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

Mmmmmmmmmm, late night sweets. Txs for the info!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

The store is in the site of the former Mary's Hardware Store almost adjacent to the Clover Grill in the 900 block of Bourbon. I posted about it Oct 8, 2010. My friends say they have stock their shelves with more products and seem to be doing well. They don't open til 10 AM.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

Interesting SoDak, the blurb made it sound like it just recently happened. On another note, when I went to Stanley about two weeks ago, they were working on the space next door. I asked the staff about it and they said they were going use primarily as a take-out operation. They didn't know about the hours, but watch that space.

BTW, Ms. 61, who has visited all the states and provinces, has paid a visit to your Corn Palace. Neat looking place...although I think I'll wait 'til summer to visit!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

we paid a visit to Candy Bar (coz I was so disappointed I couldn't get a piece of German Chocolate Cake at Jagerhaus:) and took a couple pieces of carrot cake back to our hotel room. We dropped them off and went to El Gato for a margarita (or 2 or 3...) When we got back, didn't feel like having cake, so we shoved it in the drawer. (It's wrapped in plastic) The next morning, it was still so moist, it was like it was fresh baked! A delicious "breakfast"! They make good stuff!!!

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

Their sandwiches are good also, I miss running down to Mary's for anything I needed in the apt., but Candy Bar's sweets console me!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

SKT, Are you going to be in town the weekend of May 13-14? What are the chances we could get you to our Meet Up?

Franklin...
Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

cmon... this is new orleans

closing at midnight is not late night! ;)

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

Went to the Candy Bar twice on our last visit and the red velvet cake it do DIE for love love love it!

Morgaine

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

Watch out for this place. Friday night, September 2, 2011, I watched the cook/chef make three sandwiches and not once did he wash his hands. He prepared the food with bare ungloved hands. This included slicing cheese, handling deli meat, and chopping up an onion for a chili dog with his hands. There were also a million flies around the kitchen area.

I don't care how much someone washes their hands with soap and water ... handling food with bare hands is just nasty. Does Louisiana have any health standards in the area of food handling? I don't know. If they do, this place was in violation. If they don't, then shame on Louisiana.

On the up side, they do carry hundreds of quirky products and off-brands you won't see anywhere else. Kind of pricey, overall, on the specialty items.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Candy Bar on Bourbon - new take-out option

I am really surprised to read this Bgumguy. I have watched sandwiches made there too, and never saw anything that upset me. We have gotten some really good stuff there. In addition to the really good sandwiches, the lasagna was really good and the sweets are too. Love shopping for fun stuff to take home, (like flavored dried crickets-the grandkids got a kick out of them), and tabsco chocolate. I wonder if a call to the manager might not be more the way to go than health dept. My impression is that they really try to run a nice place. Any business can make a bad hire and I would think giving them an opportunity to address it might be more helpful.