We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

I'm gonna be staying at the Royal Orleans, and I keep hearing it's best to either cab it back or take Decatur, which really seems to be going out of the way.

I understand that once you hit a certain part of Bourbon, it's the 'gay' area, but that doesn't bother me. But is it really that dangerous to walk Royal or Bourbon to Frenchmen and back?

TFK

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

You can walk to Frenchmen in the daylight anytime and you will be perfectly safe. I would even walk there early in the evening but I would not walk back late at night say and hour or so on either side of midnight. Take a cab. It will cost you less than $10.00 to get to the RO in a cab. It's worth it. If you are with a nice size group you would be safe late at night but I would take a cab. Don't take a chance. Good luck.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

My husband and I walk it all the time and have never had a problem. Decatur is a busy street and there are always people walking around. You might encounter some hippie types but they never bother anyone. We are never out really late though, so it might be different in the wee hours of the morning.

new york
Level Contributor
471 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

If there are a few with you get a cab late at night. I keep United cab's phone number in my cellphone and they come very fast. I rather get a cab and be safe very late at night.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

My friend and I walked back from Frenchman to the populated quarter late-ish (10,11,12 at night). We walked Decatur to Jackson square and cut over. Although I am still alive I wouldn't recommend it and I will not be doing that again! The groups thinned out in some areas and we were alone in some areas. It was very uncomfortable when a group of thugs came out of a gun shop(

antiques I think) and were following us

for several blocks and clearly trying to

intimidate us with talks of how they were

packing and such. I would take a cab for

sure at night.... You never know what

you may run into when the crowds thin out!

5. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 15:35
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

It is a cheap taxi ride, and they are in the area, easy to flag. Why take a chance to save $10?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
604 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

We spent several nights in New Orleans last month. We stayed farther into the Marigny neighborhood than Frenchmen St. and always walked. There are some 20 B&Bs in the Marigny district and most of them are beyond Frenchmen like where we were staying. If it were all that dangerous I wonder how those places could stay in business. There are also a few pubs and cafes in the Marigny. It is mostly a middle class neighborhood and some of the larger old homes are B&Bs. Perhaps we were lucky but we walked back to our B&B around midnight every evening and never felt any bad vibes. As to Frenchmen Street, it is only about two blocks beyond the Quarter and most of the eastern end of the Qtr is residential with few businesses or pubs. Take a cab if you prefer. Walk on Decatur if you prefer and by doing so it automatically turns into Frenchmen after you cross Esplanade. But do enjoy Frenchmen. About a two to three block section is lined with places to eat and pubs that offer music every night. We sensed that many locals have fun there plus visitors.

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

I generally walk Chartres, Royal or Decatur because they have better lighting. Once one gets past Lafitte's, Bourbon is not well lit. I use a cab if I am alone after 11:00 p.m. or so.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

We use either Chartres or Decatur, and have never had a problem. Chartres is quieter, but nothing of concern. That having been said, we are usually walking back at a time others might consider early - midnight.

When using Chartres, there's that little jog at Kerlerec that might cause some confusion, just bear left to Esplanade.

NJ
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking Bourbon or Royal to Frenchmen...and back.

Thanks for the info.

Is it easy to grab a cab on Frenchmen? Is there a taxi stand somewhere? Or do you have to call for one and hope nobody else grabs it on you?