We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids' Menus?

San Antonio
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kids' Menus?

We will be in NO starting next Monday for 4 nights (YEA!). But... I'm starting to stress a little bit. Taking the kids this time so we're not going to be eating where we normally do. The older 2 (12 & 10) will eat anything, and love creole/cajun. The youngest (8)... not so much. She's had a lot of food allergies/intolerances so she spent a lot of years eating weird and didn't develop tastes like the other two. She is currently allergic to most fish as well as lobster (and will only occasionally eat shrimp but doesn't like it), and lactose intolerant to boot (some cheese is OK).

So. Dining is going to be a challenge. She loves red beans & rice beyond all reason, but she can't eat that for 5 days straight. Most menus don't have much that she will/can eat, it seems. She will eat a salad if there's nothing else, but that just seems kinda wrong.

We're aiming for pretty casual dining. Nothing too fancy. We'll have a car, though we'd prefer to stay in the FQ but that's not a must. For the rest of us, there needs to be creole or cajun. Breakfast is sorted (OceanaX2-- for me, Cafe du Monde, Stanley)

Our current plan is...

Acme (dinner)

Fiorella's (lunch? dinner? what do you suggest? axle???)

Johnny's (lunch, obv)

Mr. B's (anyone know if they have a kids' menu? I'm guessing no. Dinner)

Lil Dizzy's (lunch-- thanks, axle!)

Verti Mart (lunch... not set in stone, but likely)

Other possibilities

Redfish Grill (dinner... think they do have a kids' menu)

Mandina's? I've heard their red beans & rice is fabulous but only served once a week. I'm assuming Mondays???

Deanie's? I'm leery of this one, but they do have a kids' menu

Anyone know of anywhere else that's relatively casual and has a kids' menu? Looking for chicken strips (ew) or maybe pizza.

Sorry I keep bugging you guys about this trip. This whole taking the kids thing just has me thrown for a loop!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids' Menus?

my neices got chicken strips and french fries at Emeril's (much to my 8 year old's horror!), so my guess is most places will accomodate your daughter.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,017 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids' Menus?

"Fiorella's (lunch? dinner? what do you suggest? "

I suggest skipping it, or at least taking a good look at the cleanliness of their common areas and kitchen area before making a commitment.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids' Menus?

Old Coffee Pot Restaurant would be a good place for the young lady I think. Mena's Palace has good country food. Will she eat hamburgers. Clover Grill and Yo Mama's has good burgers. Go to Domenica for pizza in the Roosevelt Hotel across Canal from the FQ. Go from 3/6 PM for half priced drinks and half priced pizza. Coop's has fried chicken and grilled chicken as well as veggie burger. Daisy Dukes has chicken tender plates and pizza.

http://www.theoldcoffeepot.com/

http://www.coopsplace.net/

http://www.daisydukesrestaurant.com/

What about po boys. If she likes that there are plenty around. Daisy Dukes might work.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids' Menus?

Some say Willie Mae's Scotch House has the best fried chicken in NOLA. There are better choices than Fiorella's. Coop's is more fun.

roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6450/willie…

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,017 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids' Menus?

The kids won't be able to get into Coops; there are video poker machines on the premises so it's adults only.

How about Mexican? Felipe's is a "make to order" burrito place, casual. You could control the specific ingredients of your daughter's meal there.

http://felipestaqueria.com/fq/content/home

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids' Menus?

Ahhhh I didn't find Felipe's to be that good. I know the kid won't be drinking...but their margarita was soooo cheap I had to have one. It was sooooo bad that I left it on the table almost untouched...and that's unheard of for me (lush that I am). Maybe the bartender just had a bad day you never know. Felipe's food was okay...but nothing like El Gato's.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,017 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids' Menus?

Did you eat there or just drink? :)

I'm the opposite, I've never had a drop of alcohol there, it's more of a post-partying stop for me to soak up the booze!

I don't think the two places are necessarily comparable; El Gato Negro is a sit-down restaurant and Felipe's is kind of an adult version of Chipolte with better food. :)

I almost always see NOPD offiers at Felipe's grabbing a bite. Usually a good sign!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids' Menus?

Irish--We did eat at Felipie's. The food wasn't bad and some of the food the other people ordered looked awesome. Like I said...I don't know if the bartender was having a bad day or not, but the margarita was not so good. Has any one eles had a drink there so I can get some other kind of feed back? NOPD officers are always a good thing! Herm and I bought lunch for two NOPD officers at Margaritaville once! It was so much fun to watch their faces when they asked for the bill! We even got the NOPD discount too on their bill :)

Edited: 09 March 2011, 00:27
pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
535 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids' Menus?

I knew there was a reason I liked you guys. They will always remember that, how thoughtful.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids' Menus?

6380--Cops rule!!!!! That's what Herm and I always wanted to be.