We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazzfest

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Jazzfest

Looking to go to Jazzfest this year (after years of trying) and have some questions...

1. Which area should I stay in? Downtown, French Quarters, etc. I know that the "fest" itself is at the Fairgrounds but I dont know how far, travel-wise, that would be. Moreover, I dont know which area would be better (having only been to New Orleans one other time).

2. Parking is a pain, from what I remember, should I stick to taxis, etc.?

3. Has anyone ever been to the Jazzfest that can give me some first hand knowledge of what to expect, bring, wear, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazzfest

I have been to Jazz fest 3 years in a row and making a trip for the 2nd weekend this year. Doesn't matter where you stay. Most people hop on the streetcar, on Canal, which takes you out to the fairgrounds. Jazz Fest is great fun. It runs from 11 am to about 7 pm. Multiple stages playing all types of music. Big selection of food there as well. Make sure you stop at Liuzza's by the fairgrounds for the best Bloody Mary ever prior to going in to JF.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazzfest

3 years in a row?! i am jeaous. been trying to get people to come with me for about that long.

what kinda gear (i.e. shoes, shirts, cash, etc.) should I bring with me since we arent allowed re-entry, from my understanding?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazzfest

two websites that were helpful to me are nojazzfest.com, they have a very active forum. and jazzfest.swagland.com. this person has gone every year for forever and has tons of advice and pictures. watch the videos to get a feel for it. and go to youtube for videos also. the last time i went it was very rainy. but sometimes it can be very hot. so, rain or sun hats. poncho, shoes that withstand anything! for the rainy days, i recommend something Teva-like, you'll lose your flipflops in the mud. watch the videos for more clothing ideas! people there come prepared for weather and don't wimp out, they just wear a little backpack, and whip out that poncho when the rain starts and keep on dancing.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazzfest

You don't have a hotel yet?

You may want to look for one before making definite plans to be at this year's JazzFest. I've heard tell the city is pretty much sold out...

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazzfest

thanks katienla! i have heard of swagland before but ill def check it out again!

willowtree59, no hotel, but luckily i have friends who live there. trust me, i looked at hotels too. there are some vacancies, but its comparable to South Beach down here in terms of price. in-other-words... WOW!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jazzfest

Whew! I was worried because you seemed so excited and didn't want to see you shot down! Good on you - I have a friend going down to JF staying with friends as well. That's the way to do it - hubby and I wanted to go, but just couldn't swing the hotel costs. So we're going in May instead.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jazzfest

Oh i am def excited, but if it doesnt happen then there is always next year.

8. Re: Jazzfest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 13:17