We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scams

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
236 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Scams

I keep reading about the 'where you got your shoes' scam that many people seem to have encountered in New Orleans, but what other scams are out there? Any common ones?

TFK

Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scams

1) Just tell the shoe guy " I got my shoes on my feet on the Street"

2) The Party Patrol: Tries to give you a ticket for not having enough fun...tell them "I all ready have a hat" and walk away.

3) The Shoe Cleaner guy: Just keep walking and do not let him spray your shoes!

Not really scams...more like a hustle.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scams

I've run across all of the ones noted above, at some time or another. I just don't stop and engage them in conversation at all.

It's one thing to strike up a conversation with a stranger at a bar or restaurant or something. But people randomly approaching me on the street? I just give them a kind of half-smile and a "no thanks" and keep moving. That usually ends it.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scams

Agree wholeheartedly with IrishFan, don't even pause if someone approaches you on the street.

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scams

Sitting on a bench along the River walk 3 years ago when a young man approached a couple sitting on the bench maybe 20 feet away from us, and asked if he could use their cell phone.

Seems he had locked his car keys and phone in his car in the parking lot right behind us and needed to call his wife. Couple handed him their cell phone and he started dialing a number when all of a sudden he took off at a high rate of speed and disappeared behind a building with their phone. Glad he didn't pick our bench as we probably would have let him use our phone as well.

Isolated instance, probably so, but one that could and probably does play out in every city on Earth.. I've heard strories over the years in our travels regarding scams with people volunteering to take your picture using your camera ( usually expensive models they've targeted ), and then taking off with it.

No City is immune, the good thing about New Orleans is that there is a bar close by to drown your sorrows at !!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scams

Good reminder 3Champ, because I am certain that if I had not read this I would hand over my phone in a sec.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Scams

Can you tell me what the whole "where'd you get your shoes" scam is? I've read about the "not having enough fun" tickets, which just sound silly. Who would actually fall for that and pay them? Unless you already knew it was a scam/fundraiser.... And, no, no one will be using my cell phone :) I have traveled a bit and I know how to blow off hustlers, but it seems like there is quite a bit of that in NO, correct? Other than pickpockets and camera theives, anything else to be aware of? Thanks!

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scams

I don't think there are more hustlers in NOLA than other popular tourist cities. I've only rarely been approached on trips.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scams

Any camera store on Canal should qualify as a scam in my opinion.

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scams

Close as I can tally we've been to New Orleans 27 times over a span of 25 + years ( relatives lived there up until Katrina disaster when they lost their houses ).

Shortest of those visits was 3 days, and the longest were 10-12 days at a time. In all that time I can only recall maybe 6-7 incidents where we were approached by HUSTLERS working these routines.

The homeless are a different story and we often make contributions to them not out of any intimidation on their part , but out of compassion. One of our first missions upon arrival is to try and locate our favorite homeless person, " Pork Chop " , as he is known by, and slip him a few bucks on each visit. We have an empty gallon glass bottle at home that we throw all of our daily change ( pennies, nickels, dimes, need quarters for tolls on bridges daily ) in to, and it's marked " Pork Chop " on the jug.

I can go blocks away from our home and get scammed, mugged, robbed, or shot , it's all around us no matter where you live. New Orleans is the greatest place imaginable, don't let anything deter you from learning that for yourself..

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scams

cell phone: I MIGHT offer to place the call/relay a message but would not hand my phone to a stranger.

Camera store on Canal: Sounds like some of the stores we have in NYC. I would never buy any electronics except in an authorized store (on line or "brick & mortar"). Prices might see good in the "schlock stores" (low quality) but you get what you pay for.

My standard comment is "what turnip truck do you think I just fell off of?"

just be AWARE of your surroundings at all times. Women should have a cross-body purse and make sure it is zipped at all times.

Alleged scammer: "Excuse me, miss. you have ketchup on your jacket".

ME: "Yes I know, its a new look"

Edited: 31 March 2011, 16:39