We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the Garden District

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the Garden District

Never been to New Orleans. Older couple, will be driving..

want safe (not party) district to walk around and have car safe and with parking. Like restaurants and to see sights but someone said the garden district is best for older couples?

Is that correct?? Would like a smaller quaint hotel with charm as apposed to a big young people noisy place.Thank you for any suggestions.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the Garden District

Chicago.....the GD is just W of the CBD in the area of 1st to 8th Avenues. It's mostly a residential area. Further W you will run into several other neighborhoods such as Touro and Uptown. Tulane University is in that area. You can reach this area by the St. Charles Streetcar and it's perfectly safe there.

But 99% of NOLA's visitors want to frequent the French Quarter. There are great small quiet hotels in the FQ. It's much better to stay in the FQ and take the SC to other areas or take a cab. You will enjoy strolling around the FQ, Marigny, French Market, CBD, along Decatur and the river front, et al. Le Marais, St. Marie, Place D Armes and Provincial are great small fun hotels in the FQ. These are not young noisy folks place. I'm pretty old myself and I understand but stay in the FQ or near the FQ and visit the rest of NOLA by SC. All the crazy folks will be on Bourbon St. You can visit the rest of the FQ without going by Bourbon. Good luck.

Hotel Le Marais @ 717 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 525 - 2300.

http://www.hotellemarais.com/

Hotel Provincial @ 1024 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 581 - 4995.

http://www.hotelprovincial.com/

Hotel St. Marie @ 827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 561-8951.

http://www.hotelstmarie.com/

Place D'Armes Hotel @ 625 Saint Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 524 - 4531.

http://www.placedarmes.com/

Edited: 04 April 2011, 22:58
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the Garden District

Thank you for your help.. Are there no nice hotels in the Garden District? You said the train in from there is safe but how long would that take to take the train from the garden district. Would feel safer without

the car in the french quarter and the one way streets. I will look at all the wonderful options you suggested too. thank you so much!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the Garden District

lovetotravel - the Garden District is a very pretty, very residential neighborhood. There are hotels/small B&Bs in the area that are highly rated.

That said, once you walk around the garden District once or twice you will most likely want to see the rest of the city, and that includes the French Quarter, where most of the restaurants, sights, shops and most anything else a 1st time visitor would want to see is located.

You will most *definitely* not want to drive into the French Quarter on a daily basis, and it is too far to walk. So the way I look at it, you will drive into New Orleans, and either leave your car at a B&B/small hotel in the Garden District (also mostly one-way streets, BTW), and then take public transportation to get anywhere you want to go.... or you brave the drive into the French Quarter once, leave your car at a small hotel of your choosing in a quiet section of the Quarter, and be able to walk and stroll about on a daily basis.

If you read up on some of these threads, the streetcar is very crowded, and often unreliable regarding schedule.

Take a look at the Hotel Provincial, which is in a very quiet section of the Quarter and yet conveniently located for walking wherever you might like to go, including nearby a streetcar stop.

Best wishes.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the Garden District

Chicago........you should stay in the FQ and park your car at your hotel or one of the FQ garages near by. I can give you a map of FQ garages as they are numerous. Trust me. You will enjoy staying in the FQ off to one side where it's quiet and you can walk to interesting places nearby. You will want to visit the music joints in Marigny, French Market, river side, et al.

There are great hotels in the GD and Uptown just not as much fun as the FQ. Here's a few good choices.

Hampton Inn Garden District @ 3626 Saint Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 504 - 899 - 9990.

www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml…

Best Western @ 3636 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 504 - 899 - 8888.

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

Avenue Garden Hotel @ 1509 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 504 - 521 - 8000.

http://www.avenuegardenhotel.com/

Avenue Inn B&B @ 4125 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 504 - 269-2640

http://www.avenueinnbb.com/

Creole Garden's B&B @ 1415 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 569 - 8700.

http://www.creolegardens.com/

Pyrtania Park Hotel @ 1525 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 524 - 0427.

http://www.prytaniaparkhotel.com/

I really think you will enjoy staying in the FQ and taking the "train" to the GD. There's a lot to do in the FQ and only sight seeing looking at homes in the GD. It is quieter.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the Garden District

There ya go Willow. Thanks for the help. GL.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the Garden District

lovetotravel - welcome to the forum and hello from a fellow Illinoisian (I live in the Springfield area). You will find that many of us on this forum are 'mature' travelers and what we have in common is our love of New Orleans. My husband and I have been there more than forty times and can never get enough of this beautiful city. I agree with axle and willowtree - find reliable parking and stay in the French Quarter. The Garden District is very beautiful...but most of your time will be spent in the French Quarter. The most quaint and charming small hotels are in the French Quarter.. The Hotel Provincial is a lovely, small hotel in the quiet section of the French Quarter. Another popular hotel is LeRichelieu which until recently had free parking, but it is my understanding that they now charge for parking. We have stayed there many times because we always drive and the free parking was a bonus. On our last trip, we stayed at the Hotel St. Marie which was very nice - it is only 1/2 block off of Bourbon Street but we were not bothered by noise at all. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip and fall in love with this beautiful city like so many of us have done.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the Garden District

I appreciate the time you all took to help with the difficult decision I

am having deciding. Before heading into the French Quarter I think 1 night in a B+B in the Garden District would be nice. Does anyone know a nice charming 1 in that area then the drive in for the other 2 nights in the French Quarter. Just want to feel safe to walk around and get to the car. Thanks again everyone!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the Garden District

I guess you have figured out that most of the posters on this forum who travel to New Orleans frequently stay in the French Quarter. The point they are trying to make is that the French Quarter you see in TV is like a very small area, (small percentage of the area), and you will find it is quite different and has quite lovely areas.

If you prefer not to, stay in the FQ then there are definitely options in the Garden District. I have only stayed a couple of places there. One of them is the Hampton Inn on St Charles. It is nice enough but is a typically Hampton Inn, no real New Orleans personality or charm. I also stayed at the Quality Inn once when rooms were scarce, don't really recommend that. A couple that I have seen, (but not stayed in), might be of interest to you. Consider the Columns Hotel and the Prytania Oaks Hotel. Both look like lovely old properties with charm.

I am sure you will have a great trip wherever you decide to stay. Come back and tell us where you book and we can help you figure out what is close by and lots of fun things to see and do.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the Garden District

For Garden District type experience, I suggest the Chimes B&B. www.chimesneworleans.com It is an attractive BB in a courtyard setting in a safe neighborhood in the Garden District vicinity. The owner acts as a concierge, giving excellent personal attention to guests and drawing up plans for them to navigate and enjoy the city. The breakfast table is well stocked and has lively conversation by many middle aged and mature guests. I suggest a one story room around the pretty courtyard.

In the Quarter I suggest the Omni Royal Orleans. They have safe (if somewhat pricey) in and out parking handled by valets. The hotel has perfect service, a good concierge always willing to offer advice, and the rooms along St Louis Street and Royal Street offer great views of the quarter. It's a perfect location to see the quarter without being in the midst of the Bourbon Street activity, and is a really nice hotel. Do not book their petite rooms as they are a bit small.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 05:07
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the Garden District

This is great, I can't wait to check those out as well. I think it will be

fun to do a B&B so that is where I will check out first but I heard that

the Omni is very nice too. (I like the valet idea). Thanks again!!