We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dragos

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Dragos

Dragos is back on my list along with Acme. Are there two Dragos of just one? I know one is in the Hilton. Is one better than the other?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,035 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dragos

The original location is in Metarie, they opened a second location at the Hilton Riverside several years back. I've only been to the Hilton location but the menu is the same at both.

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/locations/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dragos

The original Drago's is in Metairie. The Hilton connection does not get good reviews. It may be Drago's name and Hilton manages it but the place in Metairie is outstanding. There's an article in the Times today about the owner getting an award for his community service. The owners came from Croatia. It's a very busy place and hard to find parking for lunch but it's worth a visit. I would not waste my time at the Hilton location. There are other restaurants that serve char grilled oysters.

Where are you staying and what other plans do you have. There are great restaurants in the FQ. You will need a car or cab to get to Metairie.

Drago's @ 3232 North Arnoult Rd., Metairie, LA. 504 - 888 - 9254.

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/

Edited: 06 April 2011, 02:45
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,035 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dragos

Some reviews from Yelp:

yelp.com/biz/…20orleans

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dragos

Wer'e staying at Hotel St Marie.. We do have reservations at Commanders and Court of Two Sisters. Plan on going to El Gato Negro and Acme. I don't like oysters but I thought maybe some char broiled might be edible according to some of the other reviewers.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dragos

My Metairie office is 3-4 blocks from the original location and we've eaten there many, many times over the past 20 years or so. I've also eaten at the Hilton location a couple of times. Drago's invented the char-grilled oysters that are now ubiquitous around NOLA and they are still one of the best purveyors of that delish dish. It's just one of the best dishes in New Orleans and for that I love them. Plus the people are good folks. That said, I have to say we've encountered many disappointments in the rest of the menu and never found it particularly worthy of recommending.

So I tell people to go there for oysters only - raw and char-grilled. I can imagine that when the Hilton location is slammed, their food quality might suffer. Forget the rest of the menu beyond the oysters (one exception is the lobster - Drago's moves a huge amount of good quality lobsters). The non-oyster/lobster menu isn't horrible, but you're better off saving your $ for some of the other great NOLA restaurants. My 2 cents, but there's a lot of experience behind it.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dragos

Scratch Court of Two Sisters. Go to Muriel's, Galatoire's, Antoine's, Bayona, Stella, Irene's or Mr. B's. Don't go to Hilton for CG oysters. Go to Metairie or Felix's in the FQ.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dragos

We always go to Dragos at the Hilton for Chargrilled Oysters only (other food isn't great) and sit at the bar.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dragos

We hope to try Drago's based on highway61's recommendation alone (but JUST for oysters! And chargrilled at that!) I had my first chargrilled oysters EVER last November at ACME and they were good!!! (esp. with iced cold Abita!) Court of Two Sisters does not have the greatest food in NOLA (order from the menu for fresh, the rest is buffet...not bad, not great) but I LOVE the place coz the atmosphere cannot be beat!

Edited: 06 April 2011, 14:39
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dragos

BTW, El Gato is Fabulous!!! They have brunch on the weekends only from 9 am - 11 am....goes GREAT with a House Margarita!!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dragos

Axle ,wer'e going to Court of Two Sisters because I wanted a Jazz Brunch and we leave on Saturday. Saturday morning we are doing the cooking school so that only leaves the middle of the week. Just going for the atmosphere not the food so much. Don't really plan on eating oysters there.