We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping... larger sizes

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping... larger sizes

There probably won't be much time to shop while I'm in New Orleans for a few days at the end of May, but just in case, I'd like to know if there are any ladies clothing stores that carry larger/plus sizes I can check out. Selection/price can be limited here in Canada so I'm always on the lookout for new stores when I travel. I'll be staying at le Pavillion, so I could probably get to anything around the French Quarter, CBD, or Garden area. Won't have access to a car, so won't be able to get to any malls outside the city. Thanks!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

Ms. Spratt's @ 4206 Magazine Street

New Orleans, LA 70115-2735

(504) 891-0063

Ms. Spratt's on Magazine. You should find a lot of nice ladie's shops on Magazine.

http://www.magazinestreet.com/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

Take the St. Charles streetcar to the GD at Washington and walk a few blocks S to Magazine and visit the neat shops and stores there in the 3,000 to 5,000 block area. There are some great ladie's shops there.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

There's a small shop on Charters St, somewhere's between Jackson Square and Esplanade, but it's expensive.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

I have not stopped in to look around, but there is a shop called Voluptous Vixen. Not sure if their stuff is streetable or private, but you might check it out. It may be the one Porelly is talking about as it is someplace in that area.

Northern CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

Hi,

I have shopped at the Voluptous Vixen. They have great plus size wear from size 12 (when did that become plus size) to size 28. They have a web site www.thevoluptousvixen.com Sadly, they do not have an online store.

They have everything from career wear to dress items. Their prices are reasonable and the quality is excellent. Their service is outstanding. They really have honed their people skills and also know how certain inventory fits different body types.

Two years ago, I bought a wonderful summer dress for a wedding. I was in my late fifties. When my late twenties neice saw my items, she hurried back and bought career clothes. I live in Northern California and she lives in Washington, D.C. yet we both were very impressed with staff and quality. A sister from Chicago also found the store impressive. Enjoy your trip and shopping experience. I would give them a call because they were closed during one weekday during our time there.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

I should have known, because Axle always has the best advice, but I checked out Ms Spratt's and here is what the NY Times has about it:

Frommer's Review

If you aren't a plus size, this plus-size boutique might well make you wish you were. The clothes -- career wear, after 5, funky, and glam -- are colorful, wildly fun, and expressive.

I think I may have figured out what I want to do on my extra day in NOLA, Shop!!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

KCK......there are some great shops for ladies on Magazine in the 3,000 to 5,000 block area. And you can go to Column's Hotel for drinks on their porch and watch the traffic on St. Charles when you finish shopping. My sister has been in Ms. Spratt's I think. But my wife loves to shop for clothes in that area. My wife can't get in Ms. Spratt's though. She's a 2. My sister can but she needs the big sizes.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 20:50
Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm definitely going to make time to stop into a few of those stores while I'm there!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

Hey Axle,

Size 2 huh? No wonder she wear high heels in the FQ. : )

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping... larger sizes

Depending on the size you are looking for, California Drawstrings at 812-14 Royal Street, and Wise Buys at 534 Chartres might be options. I bought some great tops and sweaters at both stores last October and I'm a size 14. Yup, now a 10 is considered plus! I was shopping for Jeans in California last year and noticed the store only carried up to an 8. When I asked, I was told that they didn't carry Plus sizes!!