We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Sorry for the delay, I had to leave for a business meeting less than 24 hrs after getting home. Forgot to mention the cute Mardi Gras style decorations on all of our hotel doors courtesy of GF InA1a. Also lagniappe from the others, 6380 made the cutest little packages with candy, MG beads, JAG OFF stickers, pens, candy, just fun stuff. Travelergo brought miniature statues of liberty, Herm & Deny brought the most wonderful Maple cookies.

Day One, (Thursday, May 12), in N’awlins…..Ok, where did I leave off,…. Coffee on the balcony with My Girlz, yeah! That was priceless and a very special experience. Getting to meet new friends, ( that I gotten to know so well over the last couple of months corresponding), and then bonding so immediately F2F was nothing short of amazing. Love at first sight! When I stepped out there were Herm, Deny and 6380, (I now refer to them as my new BFFs). Shortly others appeared on the balcony; Travelergo plus Herm & Deny’s cousin from the UK and his lovely SO, very cool people. It was more than I could have hoped for, not akward at all.

Late morning DH and I pulled ourselves away, got ready for the day and struck out to Stanley for breakfast. Both had Eggs Stanley, (a variation of eggs benedict with corn meal encrusted oysters), and more coffee, all I can say is YUM! If you have not tried it, I recommend you do so on your next trip, service is impeccable.

Wandered up to look at the swollen river. I think everyone who stepped foot in New Orleans last week came to look at the river, have never seen so many people up there. Absolutely gorgeous day so we spent some time just walking around and pinching ourselves, we really are HERE!

I wanted to stop by the room to drop off a few purchases and pick up the rest of the name tags for the Flokin’ Tour to pass out at the Magnum Swilling Meet at Pat O’Brien’s. We stepped out of the elevator in our hotel and I saw a face I recognized from our traded pics, It was InA1a, whom I had been dying to meet. They had slept in and missed the koffee klatch. We knew each other instantly, yelled, hugged and starting chattering. Another Love At First Sight! They were just getting ready for the day and needed to eat, we just had, so we parted with a plan to catch up shortly at the Magnum Meeting at 2PM.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

More fun! First time meeting Ccolor & Willowtree, (again after much correspondence), so more hugging chatting and smiling. What a fun day so far. Chapookie was there and it was fun to finally meet her too. Here comes the Magnum, OMG! I thought I had seen one, certainly pictures of them. I had even been told it was 3 gallons. I think it just looks even bigger when you know you are going to participate in drinking it. I am not normally a Hurricane drinker, don’t care for the sweet stuff, but it was like an obligation you know? Had to take a sip when I posed for pics, would be dishonest not to, right? Well, let me say there were a LOT of pictures, we had to all pair up in every combination, in 2s, 3s, all the Flokers, I have not had my picture taken so many times in one week since I was a child. A Magnum is a conversation starter for sure, people kept coming over to take pictures and find out What the Flok the occasion was. Lots of fun. Needless to say, I had a buzz going on.

I have heard from several of you about pictures. There will be pictures and my DH has set up a Photobucket account. There is delay in posting pics to it because a couple of people do not want their pictures posted so DH has to photoshop in the “blue dots.” Since I inadvertently left town with the camera and my phone, (also containing lots of photos), it will be weekend or later before we get them up. A link will be provided as soon as possible.

Back to my story, It was getting to be late afternoon and DH and I wanted to get a chance to talk to Mark Penton, (since we had barely had time for a hello), and hear a bit more of his show so we headed back to The Tropical Isle, soon here come InA1a, 6380, Willow and her DH. We hung for a short while and the Magnum effects became clear, and admittedly, my recollection here get a bit fuzzy. I know we went back to The Funky Pirate to hear Big Wilie and the APB, but don’t know how long we stayed, think we went back and forth at least once??? I remember Willow and DH ordering a few mufalettas, (kindly thinking to feed all of us), but alas, some of us in our infinite wisdom did not want to eat. I recall the sandwiches being carried around a bit and being somewhat the worse for wear. At some point Willow, her DH and 6380 peeled off and headed back to their hotel. Willow and DH said they had plans to go the Vaughn’s. I would have been some kind of impressed if they had been able to do that, too much fun and hurricane under the bridge at that point. Later learned they didn’t quite make it to Vaughn’s. My DH squired InA1a and I into a taxi to go back to the hotel. You may be wondering why we did not just walk, he said it might have been a challenge to “hang onto,” both of us through the trip. We got back to the room and he suddenly remembered he had not eaten since breakfast. Back out we went to Coop’s where we fell on Lamb Rib appetizer, Red Beans & Rice and Fried Chicken. Stumbled back to the hotel and had no trouble sleeping at all. Did I mention that the beds at Hotel Provincial are quite comfortable and the pillows are nice.

Sorry, I am going to have to leave it there, have work to do to prepare for tomorrow’s meeting. Hope to get at least another day reported tomorrow night.

Ciao!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

I am really enjoying your report KCK - next best thing to actually being there. I have never seen (or even heard of prior to the Flok tour) the Magnum Hurricanes - can't wait for pictures!! Loved your story about your DH having to get you and INAiA into a taxi....had a similar experience myself once in New Orleans!!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Better to you into a taxi, than Dave out of a styrofaom cooler!

Great write-up so far, KCK! I was missin having some corroborating evidence to my tales ;-)

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Sounds like a great time - can't wait to hear the rest - too bad work keeps getting in the way LOL

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

I am loving your trip report KCK. Thanks,

Karen

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Nothing like trying to navigate the cracks, crevices, bumps, and uneveness of the french quarter sidewalks etc. after having a few liquid refreshments.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Thanks KCK. Can't wait for the rest.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Great report....I've seen pictures of my goddaughter's experience with a Pat's Magnum (along with many of her 21+-year-old college friends, that is) and it looked quite challenging. You flokers are certainly troopers! I'm looking forward to your next installment. Thanks for sharing!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

Ya'll had such a good time! Where are you staying in July? I'm hoping we can meet somewhere for a drink of course!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So a Floker walks into a bar.....

We are going in July as well. Had to reschedule our June trip due to work conflicts. I think we are going on the 14th thru 17th.