We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supporting local merchants/artists?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Supporting local merchants/artists?

Dave and I left all our gift-buying for the last minute, and ended up at the French Market, mostly down the cheesy flea market end. I noticed that most of the vendors were not locals, and were selling cheap Made in China stuff. I did find a nice local lady who hand-made little dolls with spells on them for luck, and bought a bunch for gifts.

I bought several pieces of art from the artists at Jackson Square (already have my Trombone Shorty charcoal drawing framed and hung!)

Herm mentions "Lush" - soaps and body products. Are they made locally?

Where else to find local, hand-made items, in order to support those who call New Orleans "home"?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

Lots of great art created by locals. One of my favorites is Terence Osbourne. I have bought several of his prints and brought them home to have framed.

I always carry home Community Coffee as gifts and also for myself.

There are some awesome jewelry shops on Royal where I think the artists are local. Perhaps need to check that out a bit to be sure I am not making assumptions that aren't based on facts. I hope they are local as I love the stuff I have bought there.

I love this thread, we should support the local artisans and merchants.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

Lush is actually an international chain. I first discovered them in Ireland and I believe they were founded somewhere in the UK.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

Funny you should mention LUSH, willow! The stuff is all actually made in Canada! They closed our local stre here, so now we go to New Orleans to buy it! Is that funny or what?

I bought a beautiful Terrance Osborne print, along with two other prints by local artists. As for supporting the local ecomomy, we do it year round online! Here are some of our favorite places:

patobriens.com/patobriens/6504/default.asp

http://shopping.nosoc.com/

http://www.communitycoffee.com/

http://www.nolacajun.com/

http://accentannex.com/

all ship to Canada as well! We ALWAYS have Pat's mixes, NOSOC stuff and Community Coffee in our house--ALWAYS

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

I've bought a couple pictures from artists around Jackson Square and have one Saints print that depicts h*ll freezing over and when pigs fly (for the Super Bowl win) that I picked up in a gallery on Royal Street. I love wandering around looking at their wares... as Deny said on another post, is it May 2012 yet?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

I also have bought pictures and tiles from the local artists who hang their stuff along the walls of Jackson Square. I was looking like mad for a certain artist...but I didn't see him this trip. I wanted to buy two more of his pics. There's always next May. As a gift our cousins bought us an authentic Blue Dog framed print. I love that Blue Dog!!!!!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

OK, so never mind "Lush" (not that products aren't good, but this thread is about local New Orelans products, merchants, and artists)

Is Pat O's merchandise made locally? That's kind of what I was talking about - not wanting to buy stuff made in China while in New Orleans. I know it supports "Pat O's" as a corporation, but I'd rather spend my money on tipping the Pat O's waitstaff than buying a glass made in China or Brazil or...

Community Coffee is a GREAT one. I have no idea if i had it at PDA or not, I will check. And I will make sure to buy some! Exactly what I was looking for.

NOSOC's food items are probably made locally - do you know for sure, Herm?

NOLACajun is an awesome find! Now I know where I will gte all the foodstuffs I stupidly did not buy when I was there. have I mentioned I hate shopping?

Accent Annex is interesting.... it is out of Metarie, so it employs locals, I know. And if you are going to buy beads and other Mardi Gras items, I'm sure they don't actually manufacture anything like that in New Orleans or nnearby so you have to get it somewhere... I know where to turn now next Mardi Gras!

What about locally made jewelry, and other artisan items? I was looking in the fea market, but other than the little "hex" dolls (she said they were not "voodoo" and didn't have a card or website ;-( ) none of the jewelry in the flea market was made locally that I could see.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

I LOVE Terrance Osborne! I wanted one of his prints that I saw in a local shop on Royal.... but daughter called looking for money for a house and there went THAT! I know what I will buy myself for Christmas though ;-)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

willow, Pat O's mixes are made locally--their rum (which you can't buy online) is imported from the Virgin Islands.

NOSOC's stuff is local stuff. The Louisiana Fish Fry products are AWESOME, as are the Cajun Pride (and of course, all the spices they make themselves!)

Community Coffee's site is AWESOME, you hit "submit" and within a second or two, get an e-mail confirming your order...a couple minutes late, it seems they send one saying it's been shipped! They are FAST!

NOLACajun IS awesome. There's another place I ordered from that has a more vast selection...but man are they slow...and it's call after call to follow up...too much hassle!

Accent Annex is locally operated, but I'd say 99% of the stuff is made in China. We have beads, light-up Hurricane glasses (so cool!) and stuff like that. It just REMINDS us of NOLA!

I'm "into" jewelry about as much as live music...so I wouldn't have a clue!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

You may want to check out the Arts Council of New Orleans' website. They have juried artists who display at their monthly sale held on the last Saturday of each month (this Saturday!!). I've never been but the artists represented look amazing! www.artscouncilofneworleans.org

For jewelry, I collect jewelry designed by locals, Thomas Mann and Mignon Faget...top quality.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,646 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supporting local merchants/artists?

Unfortunately almost all the mardi gras beads etc. come from China...a number of years ago a man made the observation on tv about King Cakes and how Gambino's got 10,000 babies from China to put into the cakes and wondered about the chinese factory worker looking at all those babies and wondering....the americans put them in a cake and eat it...And so much in the French Market is not from here also.

The artists in the square are so good..my favorites are Al Federico, James Hussey, and Miriam Ragan.