We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

I'm planning a solo trip in January 2012 and one of the places I wanted to visit in the south is New Orleans. I've done quite a bit of reading and there's a lot of things I want to see - graveyard tours, eating of yummy food, soaking up of the atmosphere, shopping and general wandering about.

However. I'm a 34 year old woman travelling alone. That doesn't bother me generally (I kind like it) but I don't like to party, I don't drink and generally I prefer to do my activities during the day and be happily tucked up in my quiet hotel room by 6-ish (do you see where the boring comes in?).

So what's the verdict? Am I too boring for New Orleans? Would I be better off in a less vibrant quieter place? Am I missing half the excitement of New Orleans with my grandmotherly practice of early to bed? Should I just skip it this time around and wait for a friend to join me?

Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

Even though I'm a partying type of person, there is so much to do and see in New Orleans that does NOT require drinking. The food in New Orleans is to die for and that alone would make it worth it to add to your list of places to visit. But then again, there is so much more than food or drink too. There is the history, the architecture, the tours you mentioned., shopping. New Orleans is a beautiful place to just walk around in. Too be honest, even without the partying I think you'd have a wonderful time.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

It's only a problem if New Orleans bores YOU. But that could never happen, so go and have fun!

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

I don't think you have anything to worry about!

New Orleans has tons of things to see and do before 6pm...gorgeous architecure with tons of history, unique shops, museums, tours, streetcars to ride, great food and music...I could go on and on. But it's not really about what to see or do...it's more sublime than that. Being in New Orleans just makes you FEEL good...kind of like "as long as somewhere this special exists, all must be right in the universe, despite all the crap going on in the world".

And I have to admit that even after all these years of carrying on a love affair with this city, I can STILL spend entire days just wandering around with no agenda, just enjoying the beauty of the place and the wonderful people.

You mentioned that you don't drink and prefer to wander in the daytime, but it gets dark pretty early in January. A stroll down Royal St at dusk is lovely with all the gaslights flickering. Just a thought...

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

LOL! Don't worry, you're not too boring to go to NO. Not everybody goes to NO to party like there's no tommorow. I'm also a single gal who's been to NO twice now, and planning her 3rd trip, and although I do enjoy a drink of 2, I've never been out past 11pm. After sightseeing and running around all day, I'm just too tired to stay up late!.

You can still enjoy the live music without having to be out until 2am. During the week, the bands start playing around supper time, and the fun starts in the afternoon on week-ends (Thursday to Sunday usually). But I think once you're there, you might enjoy being out a little later. But if not, there is more than enough to do during the day. And if you're hotel has a courtyard, which most hotels in the Quarter do, that would be a very enjoyable way to spend the evening relaxing.

I have to echo Cerelife's suggestion about strolling Royal St in the early evening. Royal street has a lot of galleries and shops, and that is one of my favorites things to do in the evening. Just wander in and out looking at everything you wish you could buy but you can't because it would cost you a fortune to ship it home. :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

GOD NO!!!! There is sooo much to see and do and exxplore! You'll have so much fun, meet so many interesting people, eat food you'll dream of for years to come! Please go! You will have the time of your life!

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

Oh h*ll no, you aren't boring and don't worry about what everybody else thinks!! NOLA has quite the reputation as a party town, but there's so much more to it than walking on Bourbon carrying a drink! We're really bad about not staying up late at night also, but have done the Bourbon Street trek so many times in the past that that isn't the draw for us anymore. Go on and have a great time!!!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

I have been to New Orleans many dozens of times and I can't recall ever intentionally going into a bar there, and it is my fav city in the country except for some small towns north of San Francisco. Part of my routine is due to having kids but I have really enjoyed getting to know the city by walking and think the museums of New Orleans are sometimes overlooked and under-appreciated and the nightlife overrated. The Ogden Museum, the WWII Museum, New Orleans Museum of Art, and the Historic New Orleans Collection are some favs. The galleries of Julia Street can be interesting. Try to walk as much of Magazine Street as you can. It is one of the great streets of the United States. You never know what will be on the next block - an antique store selling old religious vestry robes, a voodoo shop, an amazing bakery, great architecture restored, great architecture falling down, very good eats. Also the formal tours always disappoint me. A guide book and a street car fare can usually bring better results.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

@ jimjade

"I can't recall ever intentionally going into a bar there"

Have you gone into a bar Unintentionally? ; )

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

KCK - I think I did that in NOLA once or twice..............

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell me honestly...am I too boring for New Orleans?

I think you should go and please yourself with your choice of activities. Why would you care if others think you are boring?